WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me

Thanks to everyone who commented yesterday wishing me safe travels! I made it home on an extremely early flight and was home just in time for a lovely flu shot.

Nice and early 6 am flight

Thanks mom, don’t even let me go home first; send me straight to the doctor’s office… that’s fine. Don’t worry, though. I outsmarted the system and immediately asked if I could have the nasal spray. I made a few awkward faces but it was much better than having a needle stuck into my arm. Wouldn’t want limited movement for ZUMBA!

After my flu shot I went to get my new sneakers. Thanks to all of you (especially Alex, shoe guru) who gave me advice in deciding between sticking with my usual Mizuno Wave Inspires or switching it up with Wave Riders. I went to Runners Alley, our local running store, and they watched me run up and down the middle of the store a thousand times. They determined that I would be okay with the Wave Riders, which THRILLED me because who wouldn’t want bright and colorful shoes?

WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me

Is this not runner heaven?

My ProCompression socks came in the mail too, courtesy of Skinny Runner’s discount! Love them already!

so colorful

Then it was off for a nice 3-mile walk with MOM and Chloe (my beagle) before ZUMBA icon smile WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me

Clearly I’m a big fan of Zumba. I love shaking it with all of the 60-year-old women (and some men!). I get such a good workout and it is by far my favorite alternative to running. I’ve tried going to other people but I’m faithful to Caroline Tuesday nights at 5:30 and have been for 4 years now. She has the best mix of hip hop and latin songs. It felt so good to be back in the front of the room where I always stand and I’m already counting down the weeks until I’m back for Christmas break. Side note: I am that girl that creepily follows my instructor to all of the gyms she teaches at and memorizes the routine so I look really good… awkward.

WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me

Then we had a delicious dinner of steak, potatoes, and green beans before we headed off to watch a ski movie for a fundraiser to get free lift tickets. No way was I going to make it through the whole thing so late at night without some Orange Leaf Froyo icon smile WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me

WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me

Now onto everyone’s favorite: WIAW. Thanks to Jenn for hosting this wonderful way to get to know other bloggers and share something we all have in common: a passion for good food!

wiawphotobutton1 WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me

I’ve mentioned before that I have a raging sweet tooth. I thought it might be fun to share some of the craziest desserts that I’m obsessed with. And when I say obsessed, it’s actually embarrassing. My friends want to shoot me half the time because it’s all I talk about. I may or may not be guilty of planning which restaurants we’re going to go to based on the dessert menu…

WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me

If you’re wondering why I don’t post a typical WIAW with what I’m actually eating in a day, it’s because a) I always forget to take pictures and b) I eat the same thing every day so I just don’t see the point. It would completely bore you. Or at least I’d get bored seeing the exact same post every Wednesday…But by all means, if you’re really wondering what my daily eats are, feel free to email me at pickyrunner@gmail.com or just comment asking and I’ll gladly do one for next week!

Have any of you ever heard of Berger cookies? I hadn’t until I came to school in Maryland. You all need to come here and try them because they’re literally the best thing I’ve ever had in my entire life. I don’t even know how to describe them except that they’re a shortbread type of soft cookie on the bottom and then an EXTREMELY thick layer of fudge on top. I could eat a whole box. Or maybe not, I’d probably get sick. They’re pretty decadent.

I’m a cookie monster

I’m also a big fan of toasted marshmallow anything. Except I haven’t eaten a marshmallow since I found out how they make them. But I am still obsessed with the idea of them and actually really love the taste of them when they’re roasted. I’m definitely guilty of eating almost a whole bag of marshmallows when used to make s’mores…When I turn 21 in March, my first drink is going to be a spiked toasted marshmallow milkshake. It’s the only way you’ll ever get me to put alcohol into my system. By tricking me into drinking my favorite dessert ever.

WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me

Stand in NYC does it best

I’m also a big fan of giant slabs of chocolate cake from Stoney River. Every time I go with one other person, the manager (who I’m friends with at this point and talked about a few weeks ago) is amazed that we’re able to finish the cake, which is usually split between at least four people. Clearly he doesn’t know me well enough yet. I don’t mess with sugar.

WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me

Obviously I don’t eat these every night. They aren’t healthy and I’m not going to try and pretend that they are. I’m well aware of that. I eat them as special treats. Everyone deserves a treat now and then. My treats are usually related to sugar. I don’t see a problem with that, especially given how much I exercise. But I do eat some form of dessert every night. My typical go-to dessert is either an ice cream sandwich, or Dove chocolate squares.

WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me

We all need a little chocolate and inspirational pick-me-up once in awhile! icon smile WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me

And because it’s almost Thanksgiving, I thought I’d show you what my mom and I are baking up for the big day (recipes to follow later in the week):

WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me

hot fudge pudding cake (my pick)

more traditional apple pie

What are your splurges?

What are you baking for Thanksgiving dinner?

Catch you all tomorrow for a special tribute that will explain why I don’t race on Turkey Day! (or if you’re signing off… Friday icon smile WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me )

37 thoughts on “WIAW: my sweet tooth might kill me

1. keepmoving4wd

LOVE your shoes and socks go purple, my fav colour, gesh I really need to invest in some of them, my calfs are killing me. OMG I too have a sweet tooth, I always feel so guilty as I swear every other runner I know eats like a rabbit, makes me feel so conscious, but I am NOT giving up my choccy and desserts I don’t care what they say… hehe… Oh and wow you really like zumba, I actually haven’t tried it unless you class on my WII Fit which I really love, actually may undust that this week! :-) Hope you enjoy the rest of the week! :-)

Zumba is really amazing! You should try it :) And get the socks. They’re amazing. And they work so, so much better than compression sleeves so I highly recommend them. I don’t think anyone should give up desserts- they’re crazy! Some girls on my team were like “oh I can’t eat any ice cream until after I’m out of season” and I was like… why? I eat dessert every night and look at me. I’m beating you so I think we all deserve/need to indulge in our sweet tooths once in awhile :) Have a wonderful day!

1. keepmoving4wd

Yeah I think I will in the holidays, lots of things I want to try along with bikram yoga! Yay I will def get some! I know that’s exactly what I say, it’s ok if it’s in moderation, argh I wish I was beating the skinny girls not eating chocolate right now, although I have been off for 6 mths so hmm hehe… It’s actually just past mid night here, off to bed! :-)

Your sweet tooth makes my heart happy!! Jeepers, girl. My new official goal is to become recovered enough to enjoy any one of those desserts at any given time. Alcohol in milkshakes = BEST idea ever. That cake looks beyond delicious. And I cannot wait for the recipe to your pudding cake. And you know how I feel about your cupcake a day quote. ;)
    Honestly — life is better with these included. No guilt, no fear, just love. I used to see pictures of girls who had what I thought were my ideal body shape and strived to fit that same shape. Now? I see this post and strive to be able to eat these with nothing but enjoyment and bliss on the mind. If that isn’t a transformation of mind, I don’t know what is. I just need to take it that one step further. ;) I’ll get there. :D

You will get there! I can’t wait that I don’t have some guilt in my head while I’m eating. I’ve reached the point where I can eat them, but I’m not at that point where I can feel okay about it. I definitely restrict myself all day and the days leading up (and after) to a very healthy diet so that I can enjoy it. And I also tend to add a lot of exercise in when I know I’m going to be eating some indulgent foods. But the fact that I can eat them at all now is huge progress! I know that with time you’ll be able to do it too!!

Looks like you had a great first day back up north, even though your mom sent you straight for a flu shot (which I think is hilarious btw). My favorite desserts are cookies (I am also a monster) and anything chocolate + peanut butter. I think I’m baking cookies this year to bring for Thanksgiving dessert, molasses spice cookies. They’re perfect for this time of year!

I love the Dove dark chocolate squares…especially because they have the inspirational quotes! I’m glad you had fun at ZUMBA…I’ve never tried but definitely should! LOVE the new Mizunos and compression socks. I regret not getting colorful ones…of well, that probably means I’ll just have to get more :) I know I’ll be “splurging” on anything and everything pumpkin tomorrow, no doubt!

You should def try it. It’s so fun! I love it so much and recommend it to anyone who hasn’t done it haha my friends think I’m crazy. Hope you get to eat lots of delicious foods tomorrow- there’s no better time to indulge :)

Anddddddd your sweet tooth is now going to kill me….I have a huge one too and you just made me want to dive into my sweet stash……..just kidding ;) well you did but I’m not complaining about it…always glad to see that I’m not the only person with a raging sweet tooth and find some new things to be on the lookout for…thanks for adding to my list :)

6. Blackfoot Running

Toasted marshmallow is heavenly. Where is this “Stand” place?! I am interested in how the Wave Riders are working out for you, I had been eyeing them but I’ve been so comfortable in my Lunaracers that it will be about 7 months before I need to buy a new pair of trainers….(since I have one pair of Lunaracers in a box still). Lemme know! Cheers to you and marshmallows!!! (I won’t google how they’re made, I’m scared now.)

It’s in NYC but I couldn’t tell you where cause I’ve gotten lost trying to find it all three times I’ve been. It’s worth it though! And I’ve only run in them once and my feet are definitely going to need to adjust but I like the weightless feel to them. I may need to add inserts to support my arches but that’s because my feet are really flat. Definitely try them out!!

Glad you had a good time and safe travels. But sad I’m currently in route to Baltimore obviously. I love your paragraph about the desserts. I’m so tired of people saying they can treat themselves everyday. No you cannot have a giant slab of cake everyday and not expect to gain weight. I’m not saying by any means that you should restrict yourself (obviously), I’m just saying people should have common sense and stop harping on treating yourself everyday (if that makes sense haha).

I agree. I definitely don’t eat them every day. These are like a once a year occurrence probably. I do like my sugar but I’m smart enough to realize that I can’t always go crazy. I do think it’s kind of crazy for people to restrict themselves from having any “treat” foods though, even if it’s something small.

Flu shots, boo! At least you still got to get your Zumba on. Enjoy your family time! I was born with a raging sweet tooth which has morphed into a salty tooth. Now I would prefer seconds of a savory meal over following it up with dessert. However, I do love both my sweet “lighter” desserts like Jello chocolate pudding cups with some kind of mix in, as well as more decadent desserts like a perfect ice cream cone in the summer or moist chocolate cake at a fave restuarant! I def will be having some dessert tmrw.

My sweet tooth has definitely toned down with time too. I’ve done the jello cups for dessert before but I’ve never tried them with mix ins! I usually stick to my dove chocolates. They hit the spot for an every day occurrence and then I’ll indulge on dessert at restaurants since I don’t eat out that often.

Oh my gosh! My mom made me go through a ton of doctor stuff too! I sort of got sick and it wasn’t getting better so she thought a trip to urgent care would be fun. Ah, thanks mom. Not. ;)Actually she does have my best interests.

Love the idea of compression socks. I’ve never had those. Hm. How is zumba? That I have also never tried but it looks like fun. I always get bored during yoga and pilates. I did make a trip to the gym today to hang out with my friends who are like ~75 :)

Oh goodness, you are a girl after my own heart. You have seen how I like my sweets :) I wish I could be there when you turn 21! I saw what you posted about alcohol. (Maybe on Run w/ Pumpkin?) and it’s worth at least trying. I was the same way before I turned 21, but sampled it all the same.

Would you be down to do a sweets swap?

I like to splurge on a nice sweet. I don’t really like bread products including pasta, so that helps me (or in my head) justify the idea that a little treat is ok. I also like to make sure I work out before I splurge or I tend to feel extra guilty. Hmmm, lately it’s been ice cream or froyo (got to love all those toppings) but I could always go for a fudge brownie with whipped cream :) Ok, anything decadent.

Happy Turkey Day!

I love that we are like the same person! You HAVE to try Zumba! I highly recommend it. You’re lucky you aren’t a big bread person… that’s my downfall. We defiintely should do some sort of a sweet swap… I’m planning on doing a bunch of baking next week with one of my friends who’s coming to visit :)

Ohh lorrddy lord we would be best friends with our sweet tooth’s. I am out of control I swear. I want alllll these treats on here. I still need to try Zumba! I have been dying to, but have no one to go with. I guess I will have to go alone!

Girl, there is just so many things to comment on.. let’s get started :)

1. LOVE the new shoes & the color. How’d they feel on your walk?
    2. I don’t care that it’s only 745 in the morning, that frozen yogurt looks delicious & i want it like.. NOW!
    3. please share how marshmallows are made. I’m not a big fan of marshmallows, so it won’t ruin it for me.
    4. When exactly is your birthday in March?
    5. Have fun baking with your momma today girl

They felt great! My arches felt like they might be falling a little bit but otherwise I was loving them! And I think my feet will adjust with time. Marshmallows use crushed up bones from animals, or at least that’s what I’m told. And my birthday is March 15th!! Happy Thanksgiving :)

12. natashaboruszok1992

Hahaha that marshmallow drink looks awesome!
    I definitely don’t have a sweet tooth, so when I want to splurge it is definitely on my main meal – there is this one deli in my college town that makes the most amazing, decadent caprese sandwich with butter coated bread and oily pesto! YUM!
    Needless to say, all of my indulgent meals are carb heavy!!!

13. Mitchell

Admiring the commitment you put into your blog and detailed
    information you provide. It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed material.

Great read! I’ve saved your site and I’m including your RSS feeds