My Hour of Power

It’s that day of the week again! The day I combine my thankfulness with my brags. I don’t want to miss out on either link up because they’re so fun to do, so I just do both!

First up: Thankful Thursday from the lovely Jessie, who never fails to stay positive despite living halfway across the world away from family. Can’t wait to meet her in March :)

I’m thankful for…My friends. Of course. I say this a lot but this week my friend who graduated is staying with us and I never realized how much time I spend alone this year until we added an extra person into the mix. My roomie and I never see each other (I’ve said this before) because of our schedules so having someone to do things with is so nice. I forgot how much fun I used to have on random nights of the week… I kind of miss it.

I’m thankful for… my family. Another weekly thing. I’m always thankful for them. My mom, although she drives me crazy sometimes with her theories about my exercise habits, is still always there. When I was texting her yesterday, she was genuinely interested to hear how my time with my friends has been this week. She’s always concerned that I’m spending too much time alone and really wants me to be happy more than anything else.

I’m thankful for… This one is a strange one, but the woman in the gatehouse of my community. I live in a townhouse in a gated community near my school and there is one woman who works there that is always smiling when she waves us through. The others will wave to let us know that they saw the sticker on our car, but this woman actually seems excited to see us every time we drive in. It makes you so much happier to come home and is just a really nice way to feel welcome in the neighborhood.

I’m thankful for… Pasta Mista! This is the local pizza/pasta place in Towson and I love it. I think I go there at least once a week and tonight we went after the swim meet. It never disappoints, especially at 8pm when you’re getting especially hangry after spending 4 hours soaking in the chlorine.

Now it’s time to BRAG!! Hollie is so smart… what a better way to raise self-esteem by bragging a little bit about our accomplishments?

Physical- as you all know, this is my “rest” week, so I’m technically not supposed to be running. Since that isn’t realistic for me, I’m running 4 days this week for a total of 24 miles, the lowest mileage I’ve run since June. This is extremely difficult for me, and I really appreciate all of the support I’ve been getting. I’ve been posting some of my random workouts on the treadmill but in the spirit of Elf4Health, I tried a new workout yesterday. I went to Hour of Power at the local yoga studio and my god was it a workout! I actually don’t remember the last time I worked some of those muscles… probably never! We came out sweating bullets! I had a heat lamp directly over my head, too, so it was at least 104 degrees in the room. It was hard but I love a good sweat session so I’m going back tomorrow and Friday with Hillary!

Mental- This is a really tough week for me at school, and instead of stressing out and just giving up, which was my old response, I’m getting it together and organizing my life instead. I’m finding a way to balance friends, workouts, and school without really having to compromise. And I keep organized with a little help from this guy (my Lilly Pulitzer planner):

Brag- First of all, I made a pretty epic cake last night with Hillary (at 11:30pm, but that’s erroneous), which I’ll show you tomorrow. It was pretty amazing! Here’s a sneak preview:

Also, I have some pretty awesome weekend plans that I’ll share with you tomorrow!!

Brag for me!

Who has fun plans for this weekend?

34 thoughts on “My Hour of Power

1. WellHeeledRunner

I love it when strangers or people I don’t really know are so happy, like the gatehouse woman. It makes me happy and makes me want to be that friendly too! Unfortunately if I smile at strangers in London they will probably think I’m insane.,.this is not a very friendly city!

That’s so strange! I spent a month in Denmark and everyone was so excited to help! I would clearly be lost on the street and people would stop and ask me if I wanted help… it was so nice!

2. LifeByLex

Its strange how you said your thankful for the lady in the gate house today, but I have a special crossing guard that I’m thankful for. While I never actually use the crossing guard to help me cross the street (because I’m in a car), she is ALWAYS there, and ALWAYS smiling and waving or doing a song and dance. I was just thinking this morning of the random acts of kindness I want to do this christmas and Getting her some coffee on those extra cold days is def. on my list of things to do!

I seriously love when strangers are nice. My college town is super small, so I love going to the grocery store because random locals will just talk to me and tell me about their day. It’s so cute! LOVE the Lilly planner…I have a wallet, too! I spilled coffee on it yesterday, though…let’s not talk about that :) Your planner looks a lot like mine: jam-packed! It’s the best feeling when you get it all done, though!

Uhhh hopefully the week of march 15, conveniently my birthday haha I think there’s a big blogger meetup being planned? Also, totally waiting until I can watch your vlog when I’m not surrounded by a million people who will think I’m weird…

Yay for being able to spend more time with other people this week! I need to be better about that ha…way too easy for me to spend time alone, which doesn’t always work out well. And I LOVE the fact that you are thankful for the woman who works in the gatehouse! I think people who work in such positions are so under-appreciated, so the fact that you recognize her is wonderful :) And I loved your bragging! Good for you, darlin <3

Thanks girl! Sometimes those people you wouldn’t expect to have any impact on your life truly do make a difference in your day and its so wonderful :) hope yours is going well!

5. Giselle Schroer

Love the bragging! I think it’ shealthy to brag a little bit every so often to boost our spirits and give ourselves credit. I’m famous for not giving myself enough credit and for thinking down on myself. I’ve gotten much better at it but still always think I can do better. I’ll join in your bragging by saying that in Tuesday’s boot camp one of the circuits was to do 24 push-ups then move on to suicides. I managed to do 5 rounds all without going down to my knees! Yay for me!
    Hope you have a great day!

I’m really proud of you for running that lower mileage this week! It sounds like your family would be proud too. Those caring families, especially moms, are the best. I’m glad you liked the Hot Yoga enough to go back twice this week, awesome! I was hoping you would enjoy it. I keep coming back for my Tuesday morning power yoga sessions before work! Really gets me going on the right foot for the day. That cake looks delish, can’t wait for more deets.

7. claireknudsen

Give me the cake. Haha, in all seriousness, good job not stressing. I used to freak out with school too and go crazy, and spend hours making lists and schedules for myself only to abandon them 5 minutes later. Life without a Lilly planner is a life not lived. ;)

It’s kind of funny how we don’t really realize what’s missing from our lives until it’s added back in. I got so used to being alone all the time too, and it wasn’t until they boy came into my life that I saw how lonely I was. Friends, family, and smiling strangers make life so much better :)

Love that planner! Haha, yay for being organized, I don’t know what I’d do without mine, seriously! And that cake looks delicious. When the urge to bake strikes, you gotta just go for it. Who cares what time it is?

I love your planner- I have a Lilly one too, but it’s the mini one. I am sure if I was in college and an athlete I would have a big ole one hahaha. That’s pretty neat that you guys randomly made a cake at almost midnight, I miss things like that from college :).

Way to go on running less and doing that hot yoga class, sounds like it was a blast!

Oh man. I love this post for SOOOOO many reasons. I read it at work and it honestly brought THEEEE biggest smile to my face.
    Lovelovelove the cake!! Eating healthy is great and all, but would you really rather see pictures of egg white and tofu and kale nonsense or cake?! There shouldn’t be any doubt about that one. Between your cake, Liv’s cake, and Meghan’s cookies — I’m in baked goods heaven right now!!
    Way to go on your hour of power!! This week is my no-running week (officially decided! ;) haha). It’s doing me good in the way that I neeeeeed to get back out there!! I have a super full year of running ahead of me, so I think that a full week is really what my body needed. I did some stretching today (not yoga, just the good stretches that I needed), and it felt AMAZING!! I can only imagine what a good hot & sweaty hour would have done for your body and soul!!
    I also loved your thankfuls — especially the random one. It’s being thankful for the weird and random things that makes us most appreciative for ALLLL that we have.
    Love it!! You’re fab! <3

You’re pretty great too! You always have so many wonderful things to say, warms my heart :) good for you taking the full week off running! You’re a better person for it!! I wish I could allow myself to fully recover by taking more time off!!

Love your dove wrapper as well. It’s 100% correct, because you are one of the sweetest people I know :).

You have so many awesome things to brag about. I mean that cake a lone deserves a post by itself!!

13. Pingback: Seeing that friendly face | pickyrunner