If I have to spend one more minute on a treadmill…

I swear, I am so sick of the treadmill dreadmill. I only spent a few days on it, too. The trashy TV shows couldn’t even improve the experience. This week was a tough one, but I made it and I feel 1000x better. I ran the least amount of miles I’ve run since I was injured with a groin injury back in May. And even then, once I was better I was back up to 30 miles right away. But my workouts were varied this week, and for that I am grateful. I feel like I’m going to appreciate running so much more now.

Sun-3 miles walking. I can’t believe just a week ago I was walking outside with my mom. This week flew by, but I also feel like I’ve been back at school for a month now. 11 days. 11 days. 11 days. I’ll repeat it until I believe it.

Mon-6 mile run, 30 minutes walking uphill on the treadmill @ 4.5mph, 30 minutes biking @ resistance 15, abs. This was such a random day (major workout ADD)

Tues-1 hour walking uphill, 30 minutes biking (speed/resistance same as day before)

Wed– 6 miles running + 1 hour power yoga. Holy moly this was my introduction to hot yoga. I had a heat lamp directly overhead and it was intense. It was 104 degrees in the room WITH a humidifier!

wouldn't that be nice

wouldn’t that be nice

Thurs-1 hour walk uphill, 1 hour power yoga. Clearly didn’t hate it too much, or I wouldn’t have gone back.

Fri-6.5 mile run. Felt so good to be out with one of my teammates again. I forgot how nice it was to talk and run at the same time. She also likes to run relatively speedy during her long runs which I really appreciate. It hurts me more to go really slow, so we probably ran at about an 8:15-8:30 pace. We don’t wear garmins when we run so we just go by time.

Sat– 1.5 hours yoga, 5 miles walking outside. You wouldn’t believe how hard it was for me to take this final day off of running. When I saw that my mileage was actually dropping below 20 miles, I literally almost had a meltdown. But I’m so exhausted that I decided to give my body that final day of rest it deserves until I catch up on sleep. I walked a lot to make up for it, and it wasn’t even planned. I walked to the mall, walked to yoga, walked to get dinner… it added up quickly! I actually really began to feel the yoga yesterday. I was able to get up into some weird pose thing when we were all twisted. I could stand up with my arms twisted around my leg or something weird! I was so excited! Next up: Headstand.

maybe i could replace my running with this...

maybe i could replace my running with this…

Total– 18 miles of running, 3.5 hours of yoga, 1 hour bike, 2.5 hours walking uphill, 8 miles walking outside

By far the most random workout week I’ve ever had. I learned something, though. There’s more to exercise than running and swimming. Obviously I did not get in the pool and my running was cut down to almost nothing (for me). I’ve learned to love so many other things. I still hate the bike, and I don’t particularly like walking on a treadmill, but yoga is something I’ve never really gotten into and I’m really glad I took this week to grow with it.

Now it’s back to running again!! And maybe some yoga thrown in there too…it’s going to help my running.

I hope everyone had a good weekend!! Can’t wait to read all of your posts about what you did :)

What did you workout week look like?

About pickyrunner

I'm Sarah, a (mostly) health-crazed 20-year old New Englander living in Baltimore. Taste buds of a 4-year old, joints of a 90 year old, brain of a chemist, appetite of a teenage boy, legs of a runner. Mindset of a Champion. Follow @pickyrunner

36 Responses to If I have to spend one more minute on a treadmill…

1. Hate hate hate the treadmill too, I wish I loved it!!

2. Girl I feel you on the treadmill. It was hella cold and so demotivating last week. I hate the treadmill too but I’d rather be in that then freezing my ass off.

3. Emily says:

Hamster wheel!! I hate the treadmill too and am fortunate now to live in a place where I can run outside year round! Well kind of, in the summer it is BRUTAL.

4. Dreadmill haters unite!! Totally with you.
    Ohman. My shoes are calling to me. I feel like they’ve been neglected and they need some serious lovin’. Can’twaitcan’twaitcan’twait!! It’s going to be tough for me not to bust out a run that’s too long today. I feel like I did when I was tapering before my half marathon and was just hopping around the house all day buzzing with my “Let me at ’em coach!” and “I just wanna run!!” mantras.
    Are you ready? Let’s bring it!! Let’s go!! :D

• pickyrunner says:

I agree, my running shoes are screaming at me in all of their beautiful hot pinkness. You should just come visit so we can go for long runs together :)

• If I could, I would. In less than a second. Oh man. You have NO idea how excited I am of the prospect of visiting and having the most fabulous long-run buddies ever. And I’m thinking that signing up for out of town races together might be another fun way to get together. We need to make it happen — some of it, all of it. Regardless — it’s a MUST!! ;)

• pickyrunner says:

I agree- any excuse for a vacation is a good excuse to me :)

5. sometimes we need those random workout weeks, you know? I am jealous of that yoga time, I need some in my life.

• pickyrunner says:

I know, it makes me appreciate the real running weeks so much more. Like today’s long run. I’ve been waiting all weekend for this moment. Yoga was literally the best thing I could have done for myself, if you ever have time, definitely do it!

6. lifeasliv says:

Oh man I hate the treadmill too. I straight up don’t run unless I’m outside. Just. Can’t. Do. It. I think it stems from the one time I feel off the treadmill at the gym….terrible, terrible day.

7. Amy Lauren says:

The only time I like the treadmill is for a speed workout. There’s no track nearby so I kinda have to do them on the treadmill to rely on knowing the distance- and I know it’s not the same as a track, but still. Or if it’s raining really bad or windy out- I would do the treadmill before risking getting sick!

Yoga is definitely exercise, I know some people don’t always think you’re getting a workout unless you sweat, but even with the gentler forms of yoga, you feel it the next day. I know the low mileage is uncomfortable but you still did so much more than most people last week :).

8. I like running so much more when it’s not on a treadmill! Great post!:)

9. The dreadmill has been killing my spirit as well… dratted thing. I miss being able to walk outside, but the weather has been sooooo nasty lately and I’m not willing to freeze off my fingers and toes quite yet. Good music and trashy magazines usually help though :D

10. Hayley says:

That’s awesome you are getting back into yoga. It is one of my goals for the new year because I feel so great whenever I do Bikram regularly!

11. Yay for yoga! I attempted the headstand…but I think I need stronger neck muscles or something. It was a huge fail. I already feel like I’m getting stronger..so I know that’ll help my running! Umm and I want all Lululemon clothes now. Christmas pleasee

12. chasingchels says:

Good for you for listening to your body, love, even when it was tough! I think it’s great that you’re enjoying yoga :) I’ve only done a few classes, but hot is one I really want to try! 11 days and counting…one day at a time..you can do it :)

13. I give you so much credit for all that running on the treadmill! I definitely can’t stand being on it but sometimes it necessary unfortunately. Its good for speedwork though!

14. lizzyj1305 says:

icky weather forcing you to the dreadmill?
    I refuse to run on the treadmill…I have maybe ran 10-miles total in my life on that machine!
    yoga sounds wonderful, I’m going to try and get to the studio this week!
    I hope you had a great weekend!

• pickyrunner says:

Definitely do some yoga! I actually just walked uphill… I’m not a big fan of running on the treadmill. At all. Walking I can handle in moderation though! I only run outside :)
      Hope your weekend was fab <3

15. Is it weird that I actually love the treadmill? I always get my magazine reading in during that time, and the time flies by!!

Great week of exercise girl. Sometimes the most random workouts are the best ones =)

• pickyrunner says:

I edited the whole newspaper for school on Thursday (I’m the copyeditor) and it felt like I was only on it for a few minutes! That’s the best kind of workout :)
      Hope your weekend was wonderful!

16. smellingthehoneysuckle says:

I find it too boring on the treadmill and I never manage to get much done so well done on managing to get your workout done.

My week’s workout was one session of weights and then a big fat nothing thanks to a stupid cold!

• pickyrunner says:

I find things to do while I’m on it so it passes the time a little faster. Maybe the cold was a sign that you needed a break, so it might be a blessing in disguise :)

17. Pingback: Training Musings | pickyrunner