Finals Week Comfort Foods

Finals bring out a whole new side of people. I am no exception to that rule. Good thing there’s only one to go (biochem… it’s the worst)

209135976416511167_gKKbjoDl_c

This girl, the one that eats healthy 90% of the time, is found eating buckets of ice cream, chocolate cake, frozen pizzas, cheesy rice cakes, syrupy waffles, and basically anything else that can be classified as “junk.” Why? Because when we get stressed, our mind and body do weird things. I used to be really good at restricting myself during these situations, but now I just let myself do what it needs to do to get through. Instead of obsessing about my eating habits, I worry about studying. The food will work itself out. Don’t get me wrong, I do still eat my fair share of fruits and veggies (still more than your average person), but there’s just a lot of added junk that I don’t usually eat or even like thrown into the mix.

So here’s to another WIAW: Finals Week. Thanks to Jenn @PeasandCrayons for organizing!

wiaw what i ate wednesday button happy healthy holidays

Breakfast: I only ate this over the weekend, but it’s still way out of character for me

702254_4134996816338_1875510795_n

Dinner: Frozen Pizza. So good, by the way, but not my usual balanced meal. I haven’t had pizza in ages and it really hit the spot!

702267_4143085218543_1394920312_n

Dessert: Homemade Ice cream!

My roommate and I made homemade cookies and cream ice cream the other day after we found out that our oven broke right before our cookie party.

565504_4135483028493_478214368_n

Recipe:

Safety Instructions (I think this was my favorite part)

• Never put the base in water. To clean it, wipe it with a damp cloth. Avoid any contact with moving parts. Pull back long hair when using the ice cream maker, and always watch children carefully if they are helping you use the maker. The Krups ice cream maker is intended for indoor use only.

Freeze the Cylinder

• Place the clean, dry cylinder in a plastic bag (to protect against freezer burn) and place it upright in the back of your freezer. The cylinder will take 8 to 9 hours to freeze at -22 degrees F, 12 to 13 hours at -13 degrees F, 20 to 22 hours at 0 degrees F and 24 hours at 5 degrees F. Shake the cylinder to check for complete freezing: you should not hear any sloshing of the water inside the cylinder’s walls when it is fully frozen.

• You can use your own recipes, or this basic recipe for vanilla ice cream. Warm 1 cup milk in a pan. While the milk warms, whisk together 2 eggs and ½ cup sugar in a separate bowl. Slowly add warm milk to the eggs and sugar, whisking continuously. Heat slowly and continue stirring until the mixture is thick. Let cool completely and add 2 cups cream and 2 tsp. vanilla extract.
  • We added oreos to this when we added it to the ice cream maker to turn it into cookies and cream!

Assemble the Machine

• Slide the motor unit into the lid until they lock together. Put the paddle into the frozen cylinder. Put the lid on the cylinder. It will connect through two tabs on the side and will connect with the paddle. Plug in the ice cream maker.

Make Ice Cream

• Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker through the feeding hole in the lid and turn on the machine. Let it run 30 to 40 minutes or until the mixture is as thick as you want it to get. Turn off and unplug the ice cream maker and remove the lid by pressing the release button at the top. Remove the paddle. Your ice cream is ready to serve or to store in the freezer for later.

I seriously recommend that everyone try making their own ice cream. You don’t even have to have an ice cream maker! It tasted 1000x better than store-bought ice cream and it has none of the chemicals!

it was more like soft serve... but I actually like that better!

it was more like soft serve… but I actually like that better!

Oh, and can I just say how excited I am to meet this girl tonight? We’re having a blend date slumber party run-sesh! It’s the perfect way to end my semester in Baltimore :)

What do you eat when you’re stressed?

Day 12:Wrapping paper or gift bags?

I prefer wrapping paper… it’s more fun to tear it all apart and the suspense of seeing what’s inside!

53 thoughts on “Finals Week Comfort Foods

Yeaaahhhh girl!! Way to own your cravings! Not like you’re going to eat every day for the rest of your life. Or even every day during exams. Or even every day that you’re stressed. Go with it if it helps your brain and ride the ohsoblissfullyyummy wave into the LAST day which is NEARLY here. So close, I can taste it. And it very well may just taste nearly as great as some of your fab study comforts. ;)
    You can do it. Take as many breaks as you need — only 94 days to work on the perfect rendition of Wannabe!! :D

You are AWESOME for eating what your body is craving. Like Chelsie said, you won’t be eating that way for the rest of your life.. so just take it as it is, and enjoy every bite!! && um, isn’t Amy’s pizza amazing? I have yet to try to a pizza flavor from hers that I didn’t love! Good luck on your last final today girl!! YOU ARE ALMOST DONE!!!!!!

3. molly @ heart, sole & cereal

ummm if i come over can you make me ice cream and cookies? that sounds like the perfect way to cope with stress…not that i have finals or anything to be stressed about. i think it’s awesome that you’re eating what you are craving! way to go girl, sometimes a waffle just needs to happen.

4. Allison @ Life's a Bowl

GAH, we got an ice cream maker for our engagement party, not wedding [aka a couple of years ago!], and have yet to use it… That needs to change ASAP, maybe over winter break? And I’m so happy for you for listening to what your body and mind want. Finals are stressful enough, try not to add any unnecessary stress to yourself… And of course waffles are a great way to start the day [or pancakes] :P

I never use it! Slash I hadn’t used it since I got it for Christmas. It was so worth it, and really easy!! Definitely try it :)
      And I agree- pancakes and waffles are my favorite breakfast foods!

You go girl!! Love everything about this, especially the homemade ice cream! my dad and I used to make ice cream together all the time growing up and I completely agree about it being so much better than the store bought stuff….might have to see if I can convince him to make some for Christmas Eve dessert to go with my cake and cookies…GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR FINAL FINAL!! Sending lots of good thoughts and love your way :)

NOMMM that ice cream looks good. And I love that pizza. As far as my finals week eats, they’re all about being simple and easy (A.K.A. tortilla pizzas and leftovers for the win). Hope everything went/continues to go well! I’m losing any and all motivation to study :(

Yep, agreed! Simple is the way to go. Unless you want to procrastinate, and then it starts getting more complex. I’m at the same point now… I’m calculating the minimum grade to get by at this point. At least we’re almost done!

I totally want to make homemade ice cream. It looks so delicious! And I totally feel ya with eating healthy falling to the back burner when you have more important things like studying etc to worry about. You gotta do what you gotta do!

You really do. If I want three bowls of mac and cheese to keep me awake through studying, then that’s what I’m going to do. Eating healthy will work itself out, my grades… not so much ;)

8. myhighonlife

Oh my goodness… I do NOT miss the late night cram/study sessions where I unleash on my body and eat all the junk in the world. But I do miss college… this is my first December not suffering through finals and it’s really weird!

Our bodies always deserve ‘the goods’ once in a while & at least you’re still eating your fruits & veggies :)

9. Sam @ Better With Sprinkles

Junk food is 100% necessary during finals – the fact that you’re still getting fruits and veggies is awesome, but the ice cream and cookies definitely need to come out at this time of the year. It’s the same for me too! (ugh. almost done)

10. Alex @ therunwithin

so jealous! oh why oh why do I have to work tomorrow and don’t get to meet up with her. i think you are too hard on yourself – i really don’t see many unhealthy foods. we all need balance, i eat candy even without stress. so sue me! keep hanging in there.

11. Hayley

I eat those Amy’s pizzas all.the.time. Definitely not a “balanced” meal but I rarely eat balanced meals haha I want that ice cream in my belly right now

12. runnerheather

Making your own ice cream sounds fun. I bet my son would love that. He’s crazy addicted to ice cream. When i’m stressed I love to eat tortilla chips. I will put hot sauce on them, guac, plain greek yogurt (with a little taco seasoning mixed in it), and go through a whole bag! Good luck with the end of finals.

You got this, girl! Rock out that last final!

Homemade ice cream sounds so good! I don’t have an ice cream maker so I’ve never done it like that, but I spent a couple summers working as a camp counselor and every now and again we’d make ice cream with our campers. I don’t remember all the details, but basically you put milk, sugar, and vanilla extract in a small ziplock bag, but that small ziplock bag in a large ziplock bag with a bunch of ice and salt in it, and then shook the living daylights out of the large bag for like 15 minutes until your ice cream started to solidify. It tasted good, but man, shaking that bag for 15 minutes was not fun for me, and I was the counselor! I can’t imagine the 10-year-old campers with their 10-year-old strength liked it any more than I did (actually, I can almost guarantee you they didn’t: I saw many liquid ice creams consumed during my time at camp. When the going gets tough, the tough say, “Forget this. I don’t care if my ice cream is solid or not — I want to eat it now!” Hahaha).

Hahahah that is such a good story! I was so impatient, I got sick of waiting for it to harden. And as soon as I went back for seconds, the ice cream was hard! Good thing I really like soft serve haha

Gah! I’m the biggest snacker whenever I’m stressed. I remember during finals or even when I had to write essays, I would constantly need to be nibbling on things. It’ll all be over soon though! And I’m definitely with you on the wrapping paper – it just feels so much better to tear into things!

I try to keep healthy foods in the house when I’m going to be snacking a lot but sometimes you just crave the junk, and that’s okay too! Thank goodness it’s almost over. My body can’t handle much more of it!

i don’t really find myself craving non healthy eats when i’m stressed. except i do love carbs, not necessarily unhealthy, but i suppose i could go a bit overboard on them! i like crunchy snackys ones like pretzels, crackers, chips.
    i had friends in college who would use finals week as a plan to go crazy on food, haha. they wouldn’t even be craving pizza or sweets but would eat them just b/c it was finals week and you were “supposed to”. it was also an ideal “cheat” time for girls on diets. i don’t think that trends in what people usually do during a certain time of the year like finals or holidays should make you eat certain foods just b/c everyone else is doing it. in fact the same thing could be said for when “bikini season” is coming up and people feel like just b/c it’s spring they SHOULD be cutting out all sweets, carbs, etc. just go with what you’re cravin’, man! and if you are craving pizza and ice cream, more power to yaaa.

You’re lucky! I think I just crave those kid foods when I get stressed so I want all of the good stuff! But I’m not sure if it’s because it’s what I “should” be wanting or if it’s because that’s what I’m craving. Probably a little of both haha

Oh yes! Or you could be like me and stick a gallon of ice cream in front of you while you’re studying to keep you awake. We can celebrate by tweeting about our ice cream parties after we’re done tomorrow? Maybe I’ll bring some Ben and Jerry’s on the plane with me… and not share it.

16. noshingonasphalt

Finals week totally doesn’t count in the food realm. Any calories consumed are completely expended by the sheer amount of cramming you’re doing. Oh and thank, now I’m craving pizza and ice cream!! ;)

17. Tara

Oh I definitely was not eating healthy during finals! Though I wish my unhealthy food included homemade ice cream… I just had a lot of froyo and chocolate to be honest. Definitely made me feel better, even if only for a short bit of time!

Delayed but I’ve been out of town. Oh goodness, I try to limit the crap I eat but if I am really stressed and something presents itself, I can’t help but take a bite. That’s why when people bring their own processed sweets and such over its bad news bears.

That pizza and ice cream looks good though!!

“Keep Calm and Carry On”