Versatile Blogger Award: J-Term Edition

The sweetest Meghan nominated me for the Versatile Blogger Award. This is a new one that I haven’t seen around much yet! Hopefully the chain starts going around pretty soon!

versatileblogger_thumb

This is where I share 7 random facts about me and then nominate 7 bloggers to do the same, but because I feel like I’m always sharing random facts about myself, I thought I’d use this as an opportunity to let you guys know what I’ve been up to since I got back to school (besides the cool stuff, like the inauguration).

1) Running. Yes, I’ve been running. Not as much as I’d like to. It’s really hard because my coach isn’t letting us go outside for more than 45 minutes plus 10 minutes warm up inside which means I’m not really able to do much more than 6 miles a day. This is frustrating since I worked so ridiculously hard to get those 50 mile weeks in towards the end, and I’m not about to let it get thrown out the window. So I’ve been heading out for some mileage in the mornings to try to squeeze them in. I might not be at 50 by Sunday, but I’ll be much closer to where I’m comfortable and that’s good enough for me.

Screen Shot 2013-01-24 at 9.38.31 PM

2) I’m at a track meet today and I’m terrified. I have to run short events like the 4×800 and the mile. I am NOT a sprinter. I’m pretty sure my 800 split in the 5K is faster than it will be when I race it. I’ve also never run on an indoor track so that adds another whole dimension.

3) This is a not so happy one. I’ve been having a really rough time adjusting to being back to school. Food-wise and just mood-wise. I’m homesick. I have been since the moment I got to Baltimore on Sunday. Part of it is that I’ve been kind of lonely, since my roommate isn’t around much. She does her own thing and forgets to answer phone calls and texts, checking in about dinner plans, anything. She’s really busy with her life right now which is fine, but I’m not. And that makes it hard. My nutritionist suspected that coming back to school would throw a wrinkle in my new plans, and she was right. She always is. I’m really working to get back on track but I’m struggling in a big way. Not an ED relapse or anything, just struggling. I went to bed at 8:30 on Tuesday night and that helped a ton. I don’t do well when I don’t have a routine. I feel lost if I’m not busy. I can’t wait for classes to start.

untitledw

4) I went to my internship on Wednesday morning and I LOVED it. I met with my boss, Matt, at 10am and after I met everyone who works for Inside Lacrosse (including the editor-in-chief!), we walked over to Panera for coffee and hot chocolate. We chatted about what I’ll be doing and the required paperwork for my school, and I’ll be starting in a couple of weeks! The coolest part? I may get to go on a few trips with them to other places like NY, Philly, even Denver, possibly, to help cover big events they put on in the spring. I’ll also be allowed on the sidelines for some of the big games AND be allowed in the press box at the national lacrosse championships in June!! That’s like my brother’s dream come true. #suckitloser

Inside_Lacrosse_Sponsor_1_medium

5) Made my 4th (or is it 5th?) trip to Stoney River this year with my distance girls (including Christine!) on Wednesday night and it was amazing. I wasn’t sure how I’d feel since I often am not comfortable eating around a lot of them but it actually went really well and I’m so glad I didn’t bail like I did on Tuesday night when they went to Cheesecake Factory. Christine tried steak for the first time ever (!) and we polished off the chocolate cake at the end like nobody’s business. The waitress was impressed. We did, admittedly, have some help from the other 5 people we were with, but we demolished most of it.

BBVpe5eCEAAIljM.jpg-large

6) Half of my clothes are still in a pile on my floor. I’ve put away all of the clothes that go in drawers but for some reason, I HATE hanging up things. So the other half of my clothes are sitting next to my closet on the floor waiting for some magic fairy to come in and put them away. Unfortunately, I don’t think that will ever happen.

3865908802_bf3ee5c6af_o

7) I’m heading to DC Saturday afternoon to hang out with three of my favorite blog friends and I couldn’t be more excited to meet up and run and eat burgers and milkshakes with them!! It’s going to be the perfect time to get out of town and enjoy my last weekend of freedom before track takes over my life for good… and it will tide me over for another month until our huge meetup in March! Hopefully this will take me out of this funk I’ve been in so I’m feeling refreshed for classes on Tuesday.

Wow. This was a long winded way to answer a blog award. So I’m going to do 7 nominations since I had 7 random facts…

Alex… the run within

Megan… running on java

Hollie…fueledbylolz

Katelyn…california endless summer

Molly… heart sole & cereal

Chelsie… cupcake inclined

Christine… fearlessly running free

Happy Friday! What are your weekend plans?

58 thoughts on “Versatile Blogger Award: J-Term Edition

It’s sad, when I’m lifting weights these days, I totally feel like your pokemon pic compared to when I was lifting them before. It’s worth it, though. I no longer feel like I got hit by a bus.
    Good luck today. Make what you can of it, and take away what you can from it. Learning experience and fun times with the team. It’s like the warm-up to your season, make it a good one, but it obviously be all and end all.
    You know what you need to do to get back on track with the food and emotions. No excuses, just get ‘er done. I saw you do it back home, what’s so different now? Nothing. Same girl, same brain. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, dessert. Evenly spread, evenly proportioned. I know you love the idea of control, does that lay out not look controlled to you? Don’t abandon the whole concept because you’re afraid of what it might bring. You were feeling at your best. You can get that back. I know you can. You need to believe in yourself though. Don’t put the blame on anything around you, don’t put any blame on yourself. Pick yourself up and move on. Because classes are coming and you know that you’ll be hitting turmoil again, so best to get things together now. Sorry for the tough love … remember that it is love.
    Also, listen to your coach!! If he wants you at 30 this week, be at 30. If he wants you at 40, be at 40. You will NOT lose that base training in just a few weeks. I promise you that you won’t. I think this might just be an irrational fear you’re using to validate extra practices and to get out of the house. Keep pushing yourself to acceptance and not minimizing yourself to maximize your mileage.

That’s exactly what I needed. I need to get back on track. I know I do. I’m trying but it just seems like there are so many obstacles in the way. Don’t worry, I’ll talk to him about my mileage. I can’t just sit around and do nothing all day!

2. Sam @ Better With Sprinkles

hehe the fact that you included Pokemon in your post just made my morning a little bit!
    I can totally understand why being back in Baltimore would throw off your eating. I remember that any change in routine would immediately get me struggling. Once you adjust, you’ll be fine – just remember to stick to the plan as much as possible! :-)

3. christineleigh05

Maybe start hanging your clothes up (if you haven’t already)? Sometimes just having them in the right place really helps with the whole routine thing. And yeah, listen to coach — this isn’t the week to really go all out with base miles because we have to go balls to the wall during the races. Plus, these aren’t our races — though we MAY be the ones running the 4×8 for conferences if this goes well. You never know! And indoor is just really fun. Really competitive, but really fun.
    And I’m sorry you’ve been having such a hard time — I know I have too, I don’t even know if its going to be 100% better when I’m busier and have even less time to eat.
    And I totally get the feeling about being lonely. I feel like all the other girls are doing stuff together and never invite me, so my only idea is just to try to make plans on my own. I didnt lift with you guys the past two days and while I needed my alone time, I also felt uninentionally left out too (even if it was on my own accord haha). Don’t stress. The *real* season will start sooner than you know it, plus it’s going to to snow today! And probably get Bob Evans hot chocolate!
    stay super strong and we will ROCK the 4×8 in TWELVE HOURS! :)
    p.s. chocolate cake again? I actually joined stoney river’s email list twice…so…

Hahahahhahaha YES for stoney river! Aka all I need to eat for dinner although I think I need some recovery time before I go to a restaurant again. It’s kind of nice to have teammates who blog that are in the same boat as me. We’ll just have to start doing yoga and then we’ll have time to ourselves while we’re together! Haha that makes no sense… but it did in my head.

4. Megan Amraen (@megAMRUN)

I’m commenting!! Aren’t you proud of me?! :) Thanks for the nom – I’ll craft up my post soon! It’s always hard for me to adjust right back into the routine of school. Something that always helps is immediately getting involved and hanging out with other people. The craziness of recruitment made me forget about being homesick, and I bet hanging out and running with your track team will do the same!

Yayyy I’m glad you’re somewhat back. But that’s a great tip! Sometimes it does although I’m not super close with a lot of the team which makes me less likely to want to hang out with them. I just need to force myself :)

I’ve always been on a higher mileage plan than the rest of the team. They come in running 35ish miles a week, I come in running 50. I just tend to do better at a higher mileage I guess?

Yay! Thanks for doing the award! I’m sorry that you’re struggling a little bit at school being homesick and all, I definitely know the feeling. I went to undergrad a good 6 hour drive from home and it was always an adjustment to get back into the school routine. Things will pick up soon though! That internship sounds awesome!!

6. paprik4te

Congrats on the award!
    I ALWAYS have a hard time adjusting back to college. The food is different, the atmosphere is different, the gym is different, I have to spend my entire day doing homework.. it sucks. Just remember how hard you worked over break – it’s going to get better. You are so strong!
    x

Sorry to hear about the homesickness, girl :( I was blessed in that I didn’t have to move away from my family to go to school, but I know how a change in routine can throw a big wrench into sticking with an eating plan. Try to find other ways to cope with the stress and negative emotions, though, because undereating definitely won’t help your situation in the long run… it’ll just make things a lot worse.

Stuck here in the burgh :( boo snow! But our meet up will happen as soon as we can get schedules coordinated so i have hope! I’m sorry the return to school has been rough love. I’m proud that you’re doing your best to stay on track though! That’s huge :)

Good luck todayyy!! I think it may go better than you think.. I’m so glad your internship is so wonderful! That must be an awesome feeling, to be presented with such a great opportunity.
    I can totally relate to the routine thing. I like knowing when I will eat, what my plans are, when I’m going where.. I think we’re very similar in that we both function much better with some structure to our days. You’ll figure it out. Ups and downs.. :)
    Have a great day!

I like having a strict schedule too. I guess that means I’m type A haha but I will get through the bumpy patches. They won’t be easy but that’s life. Thanks girl, have a fantastic Friday!!

10. molly @ heart, sole & cereal

i’m super cranky about the weekend being thrown off, i can’t even tell you. i want to re-make plans soon because i really want to hang out! and i’m sorry it’s been tough at school for you – i really do understand (though it’s been a while since i’ve been in college, lol). not having a routine makes me cling to behaviors that probably aren’t the best because they help me feel in control, if that makes sense. let me know if there’s anything i can do okay?!

The first week is certainly the hardest. Just when I get into my groove at school, I’m home. When I find my routine at home, I’m at school and I get overwhelmed. It’s tough because I constantly feel like something isn’t right or something is missing, you know? Then add the dilemma of who do I eat with, what can I eat, etc. :) I know you can do it and just think, it’s a new world of opportunity out there.

About your internship, THAT SOUNDS AWESOME! What kind is it?? Please tell me they didn’t ask you if you wanted to lick your plate. Good work for finishing the cake but if someone ever asks me that (usually my dad) I will slap them :)

And so plan. When I visit, we will have burgers and milkshakes. Ok, dream come true.

Oh and mahalo for the nomination haha I was so wrapped up in your post I didn’t see them :)

Um. Yes. Milkshakes are non-negotiable. My internship is a communications one so ill be writing articles for the magazine and website! Super exciting and way more fun than the one I just finished :)
      And you said it exactly right. It’s like something is missing and I just can’t put my finger on it. Good thing there’s only 1 month and 18 days until I see my mom again :)

I know we have been talking about being homesick and I hope you are feeling better now that things are picking up and you sound pretty busy for the next couple of days. I hope you do AWESOME in your meet today and I cannot wait to hear about it. OMG girl hang up your clothes ;) this is where we are complete opposites I had to unpack immediately upon getting back. Everything has a place for me!

Oh no I actually am going insane not unpacking. It’s usually the first thing I do but life was so crazy at first with my friend visiting and the inauguration that I didn’t have time! I’m a stress ball when my room isn’t spotless haha adds to the crazy in my head

Your internship sounds like a fantastic opportunity! This is spring of your junior year, right? I did an internship at a magazine during the spring of my junior year, and it was honestly the best thing I did in college. The experiences and opportunities I had as a result of that internship were/are invaluable, and I really hope your internship ends up being as fantastic of an experience for you as mine was for me. Are you into sports journalism/have you done it before? I was super duper into sports journalism in college and somewhat am now, and girl, let me give you the inside scoop: if sports journalism is your jam, press boxes are the bomb dot com. I LOVED sitting with the press whenever I got the opportunity. I covered a few DIII NCAA basketball tournament games with the press, and oh em gee. AH-mazing. Definitely one of the cooler things I did as a sports journalist in college. I can’t wait to hear more about how all of this goes for you!

That makes me so much more excited! I didn’t know it was possible!!! I’m the sports reporter/chief copy editor for my school newspaper now and next year switching to sports editor so I guess you could say I’m into it :) so excited for all of the cool opportunities and chance to network :)

Ahhhh dude no way! I was sports editor of our paper for three years! (Well, technically 2.5, since I had that semester internship and was off campus for it). I stayed up-to-date with a decent number of college papers through conferences and such, and I’m pretty sure I never met another girl sports editor. This is so exciting!!

Booo I’m sorry you’re feeling homesick!! I hate that feeling. I find myself alone a lot right now since I quit my job and all my friends are busy. Waiting for school to start sucks. Congrats on the award, and double congrats on finishing that cake!

Thanks girl! It’s slowly getting better but being alone is just not a good feeling. I need my independence, but there are times where I just need basic human interaction.

15. Tessa @ Amazing Asset

First of all, I hope the track meet went just so well for you, you do deserve to excel in this, especially working as hard as you do, mentally and physically. I briefly ran track in college, I tried it for a season in between XC and I have to declare that the 800 is the bane of my existence. Sooooo long and you are sprinting the whole entire time (well hopefully haha). The 400 is bad enough and then you double it, no thank yeeee

About the feeling homesick thing and having it correlate with ED a bit… totes get you on that one. When your life starts to not feel so great, you turn back to the false comfort that the illness has provided you with in the past. The sense of security and routine that makes your anxiety diminish, or at least you think it does. Yet we both know falling back into those habits, even a small bit, makes us considerably worse… slowly but surely. I am glad to hear a routine helps you though, plus being busy with the internship will probably help a lot too! On that note, you are showing that you are not letting much of this bring you down, that dinner out proves it!

Keep on going strong dear lady

The 800 is actually the worst. Especially on a 160 meter track. Pure misery. I could not breathe and it was terrible. But thanks for all the support, girl! I know I’m not alone in these feeling so that definitely helps. As soon as school starts, I’ll probably be overly happy all the time. Or at least I hope I am!

That internship sounds so awesome & like such a great experience. I just know you are going to LOVE it!! Sorry to hear about being lonely girl. I know how that can feel since Joshua works so much & I only have Roxy to keep me from going insane, ha! If you ever wanna do a video chat, let me know girl!! We can talk and of course eat cookies!!

Hahaha that sounds so awesome!! Especially the eating cookies part ;)
      I’ll be busier in a few days which will make life a little bit easier. I’m kind of excited for it.