Confidence

This is one big bucket of crazy. Hope you’re ready for it. It’s also my PMB for the week (Thank you, Hollie, for this idea). Ignore my awkward goodbye…

Physical- I had an AWESOME track workout Tuesday which gave me the confidence (see below) I need to rock the 5K in a few weeks at indoor conferences and eventually outdoor this spring!

Mental- Confidence. I’m talking about it in my vlog but I struggle with finding that confidence, especially in running, but also in everyday life.

Brag- I’ve been working hard this week on branching out as I talked about in yesterday’s WIAW post with trying new foods. This a huge brag for me since I’ve been alive for 20 years and have never been remotely interested in trying something I’ve never had before.

How do you find that confidence in yourself?

42 thoughts on “Confidence

1. allisonhayes91

It’s definitely hard to feel confident at times and to know even when you are completely confident with something. I think it was really confident of you to put this out there, so you’re already doing a good job!

I remember Christine was predicting a ladder workout on twitter. (creepy status). I’m the same way with speed workouts…I’d pretty much rather do anything else. Nice job for owning the pain. I think it bodes really well for your next race.

3. bananasforyogaandyogurt

So many don’t give themselves credit for their accomplishments! Thank you for reminding us all to recognize the good.

I think you are more confident than you think! :)

One of my favorite quotes of all time is: “Nothing is impossible, the word itself says I’m possible.”- Audrey Hepburn I like to repeat this in my head at times I don’t feel confident!

4. myneonrunningshoes

I am so proud of you for branching out!!! I think that will bring confidence in a way… if you can take risks with food and it’s ok, you can take risks in life and it’ll be ok! Which of course builds confidence!

5. Connie

You are a legit/AMAZING runner in my eyes! I definitely lack confidence in my running since I’ve always been into lifting and just started training for my first half marathon. In the beginning, I kept telling myself that I couldn’t run more than a few miles. As soon as I proved myself wrong, I realized that my confidence was holding me back, and I was capable of doing more! I’m still nervous for the RnR, but I’ll keep telling myself I can do it! Good for you for trying to branch out :)

Thanks girl! I’m running more miles now than ever! At this time last year, even 6 or 7 miles was a really long run for me and now it’s one of my shorter days! You’ll get there :)

6. carlyjg

As far as the confidence, sometimes it helps to try to look at yourself the way your friends and family probably see you. It’s much less critical and much kinder!

7. Alex @ therunwithin

ya not ashamed to say in high school and college I would literally have an anxiety attack before track workouts. this girl is not speedy and my 2 mile racer self running with the 400 racer crew was like death in a box

I had anxiety attacks before swim meets but now I just get really nervous for track practice. Not in a “I can’t eat I’m so nervous” type of way, but more of a “I’m really just dreading this” sense.

I think acknowledging and discovering the feelings can often be the hardest part. You’re doing a great job, and just for the record, I COMPLETELY think of you as a runner. Have a good Thursday, Sarah :)

Ahh confidence… so tricky. I struggle with my confidence a lot as well, but I think that one of the only ways to build it is to challenge and push yourself when those negative self-doubts come creeping in, and see that you can be successful. Over time, those successes are what help with confidence. I think the worst thing is to not try at all – that’s just like telling yourself that you’re a failure and just reinforces the idea in your mind that you can’t do it.

I think you’re right. I’m really trying to push the boundaries this year. I’ve gone through a lot of changes in the past few months and it’s definitely helping me feel more confident as a person, but now I need to work on it as an athlete too.

10. spectacuLAUR

I think everyone struggles with confidence especially if they are scared to fail or the emotions/circumstances which follow if something doesn’t go as planned. I just read your WIAW post, too, and I’m glad you’re trying new things! It doesn’t hurt to try them :-) I always tried everything as a kid. I’m not sure why but I saw it as a challenge to try everything I possibly could and, surprisingly, the only thing I cannot eat are certain kinds of olives and clams/muscles! Keep on trying new things and I believe it will help with your confidence!

Oh god I’m so terrified of failure. I think that’s why I’m afraid of trying new things. Like I’m failing myself somehow if I don’t like it? That sounds absolutely ridiculous actually haha but you’re right- trying new foods IS giving me confidence. Thanks :)

Ohh girl you speak to my soul. However the confidence I need to gain is in running AND in life. I project such a strong confidence, and with most people I am..but at times I fall back into my shell and I am breaking that shell as we speak! I like your coaches quote that confidence is a choice. I will be remembering that next time I get negative Nancy in my head.

For me, the confidence in life is something I’ve always struggled with but it’s slowly but surely emerging depending on the situation I’m in. I know we will get there!

12. Sarah

I love this vlog and your points on confidence. First off, you go girl, seriously. You are a runner and I don’t doubt that one bit. It is what you enjoy, your passion, and in your background. Confidence is a hard “game”, and I truly beleive it stems from our mindset about ourselves. I’ve come across few people who seem to beleive in themselves most of the time and can carry themselves with confidence and beleif in what they do. I think what is important is to beleive in yourself, your goals, what you do, live your passion, and share that passion.

Thanks so much for all of this! You’re so right. Remembering that passion is a huge part of feeling confident and I need to keep that in mind whenever I’m struggling to believe in what I’m doing. I’ll be thinking of that when I’m dying in the 800 tomorrow!!

13. Allison @ Life's a Bowl

I think everyone struggles with confidence issues, in regards to different things of course, but I def think it’s more common than we may all like to acknowledge… One thing that helps me get over those down moments is thinking about all the things in my past that I’ve accomplished when I’ve doubted myself. Sometimes it’s easier said than done but every time it’s worth it if you truly want it!

That’s a really great suggestion! I need to remember how far I’ve come with running and with myself in general. I’d be much happier if I could remember that.

Whenever I need some confidence, I think about how far I’ve come. I’m nowhere near the girl I used to be in either ED or pre ED days, and it always makes me proud that that’s the case (in most things…I’d still like to be a little less concerned about food but working on that)!

One of my good friends reminded me of how far I’ve come today in a really sweet email and it kind of made me realize how different I am now from freshman year. That’s a really good way to look at it!

15. Kailey (Caffeinated Runner)

Not going to sugar coat it – confidence is something I really struggle with. I never think I am good enough, smart enough, fast enough, etc. It makes it hard for me to take compliments or even just brag about me. Oh well.

YAY for awesome track workouts.

I have gotten a lot better about it but I still struggle with it in some aspects of life where I don’t feel as comfortable. Running is a big area for me. But awesome track workouts definitely help :)

16. Kate

YESSSS love this! You’re so right, the only reason your race didn’t go well was because of confidence. I too have confidence issues – not so much about my running since I’ve been at it for 6 years (but ask me again when I start running for the first time post-surgery and I’m super slow and out of shape…lol), but more about my body image and ability to make friends, stuff like that, and it REALLY holds you back. But with running sometimes all you need is that one bombass workout to SHOW you, “hey, you can actually do this!” As for whether confidence is a choice? I think it is, but it’s also not (that makes tons of sense i know lol). I think a huge part of becoming confident – in whatever – is “faking it till you make it” – tell yourself you’re confident, act confident in front of others – but it takes awhile of doing that to actually become convinced. You’ll get there!

Faking it till you make it definitely works. I need to keep doing it though so it actually becomes effective. I’m not at the point where I’ve put it into practice yet but I’m getting there. Today’s workout proved that a little bit more and I know you’ll come back from surgery strong and ready to go!