“Don’t drink all of my coconut water!”

That quote was said yesterday at the meet. By a guy, no less.

Okay. Back to the meet. I woke up at 6am Saturday with my stomach feeling a little… off. I made myself some Van’s protein packed frozen waffles and headed over to school for breakfast with the team. I don’t know how many of you have been on teams where all of your meals are provided, but we get bagels from Panera and nobody eats them. It’s better in track since the sprinters and throwers aren’t obsessive about what they’re eating, but the entire distance team almost always brings their own oatmeal even though there’s an inordinate amount of food. I’ve always felt kind of awkward eating the bagels provided that I enjoy so I tried oatmeal for awhile but it was making me feel really sick on the bus and quite honestly, why should I eat it if I don’t like it?

So I packed myself waffles instead because they have more protein than the bagels and since I eat them everyday, I figured it would be smarter than trying yet another food before a race. It didn’t help. I haven’t had trouble with motion sickness since I was about 7 years old. All of a sudden this year the bus rides make me SO SICK. I get so nauseous I literally just want to curl up in a ball and cry every single time.

Technically we aren’t allowed to sleep on the way to meets but that’s the only thing that helps calm my stomach so I rested for about 45 minutes and felt much better. Then our coach came around to the distance girls and gave us our splits.

Dont drink all of my coconut water!

it’s kind of blurry but I was supposed to run (ideally) an 11:30 3K averaging 46 pace for the 200m and 6:09 miles.

We got there at 9:15 and the race started at 10:30. Christine was the only other person running so we headed off to warm up almost right away. We did 15 minutes, stretched, and then another few minutes with the team. Then the race began, just like that.

I was doing really well for the first 8 or so laps. I went out at a 44 pace for the first two laps and then settled into a 46-47 pace the rest of the way. I felt really into it and confident. I was actually utilizing the passing techniques we had done in practice last week. I came through the mile at a 6:12 pace I think. Then I fell off pace for a lap (around 49) and everything fell apart.

Dont drink all of my coconut water!

I swear this isn’t blurry because I was running too fast.

I started hearing splits I wasn’t happy with and I started getting frustrated with myself again. I really didn’t care about hitting the 11:30 goal pace but I was hoping I’d at least finish around my PR, an 11:57. I was trying to hang on at the end but mentally I just wasn’t there anymore and I crossed the line at 12:19. I gave up.

565439 4502262197743 989729240 n Dont drink all of my coconut water!

Christine and I weren’t thrilled with our times so we went out for a 45 minute cool down/vent session. I’m pretty sure people forgot about us. We did another brief 6 minute cool down ( it was more of a shuffle and probably only about 1/2 a mile) with the other girls on our team later.

Then I did some a lot of this:

Dont drink all of my coconut water!

By the end of the day, we were exhausted and left the meet at 6pm. We were all pretty delusional so some quotes were said that probably make no sense to most of you.

“She’s gonna level you next” and “I’m having a dilemma- I don’t know what to get at Bob Evans” (by me, completely serious). If you’ve never heard of Bob Evan’s, you’re living a much better life than me. We go to this chain after every single meet and it’s not bad, exactly, but it’s not quality food by any means. They have everything under the sun which is why I was at such a loss. I settled on a kids mac and cheese, salad, and stolen garlic bread from another girl’s meal.

804571 4502262957762 2128603961 n Dont drink all of my coconut water!

I still hadn’t gotten feedback from my coach until the busride home and I wasn’t sure what he thought. I was kind of nervous to find out, actually but when I did finally get to talk to him, he was in good spirits. He can tell that I get mentally frustrated when my pace falls off and I need to figure out how to let go. Next week I’m running the 800 along with the rest of the team and I’m not looking forward to that.

Then I did something truly marvelous. I asked if I could run the 1600. Who in their right mind wants to do that race? Well, apparently I did. Because I’m hungry for redemption after my first attempt at it. If I can split a 6:12 mile in a 3K at a track with the worst air quality I’ve ever experienced (hellooooo track hack) then I can certainly run sub 6. I know I can and I’m actually EXCITED for it.

I know. I’m crazy. It was a revelation I needed though. I need to find the fun in racing again. This is a good start.

How were your weekends?!

71 thoughts on ““Don’t drink all of my coconut water!”

I think that it’s good that you realize that you’re the one holding you back. You’re not making excuses, you’re taking responsibility. Next is just working on moving past it … head games don’t disappear on their own, you’re going to have to fight for it. Talk to your coach, explore your emotions, start practicing positive self-talk, and for goodness’ sake STOP GIVING UP ON YOURSELF. No one else has given up on you, there’s no reason why you should do it to yourself. Every single other person on this planet believes you are capable, my friend, I think it’s about time you did too. And not just believe in yourself when you’re resting and thinking about it eventually happening, but when you’re in the moment itself. Proper nutrition, good sleep, resting enough, and training but not overtraining are amazing things, but if you don’t believe you can do it, you’re sunk.
    Make it a well-rounded week and go get ‘em next weekend, girl. You can do it.

I’m really working on it. I feel so confident in my speed workouts eventually I’ll be able to translate that into my races too. That will be my focus this week. One good race and I’ll literally be soaring. I just need a start.

Nice job lovely! I really know nothing about track and racing so most of this is like a foreign language to me, but I love that you come out determined for more! OK I am sorry but I LOVE Bob Evans, whenever we are around one we go for me. I always get the multigrain pancakes and either a side of eggs or the blueberry yogurt parfait. I love it, and I know that is strange and I know it isn’t the healthiest restaurant by any means but o well. The pancakes are the best I have ever had and that is all that matters to me;) O and the employees are always so sweet!

I haven’t had their pancakes but I may need to try them. I just know that their chicken isn’t great. Their hot chocolate with whipped cream, I will say, is pretty amazing. I don’t hate it but there are a lot of other places I’d rather go I guess haha

3. katiemoves

I think finding the fun is soooo important for you. I really hope you can find what it is that makes you want to run in the first place. Frustration is the worst during runs but maybe if you do run the 1600 you’d like it much better and have fun!

I think the 1600 will allow me to find that fun since it’s not “my” race but I think if I do well in it I’ll have that confidence I need to go into the 5K again feeling good.

Good for you, girl! “If you never ask for what you want, you’ll never get what you want”. I’m excited for you too! Try not to be too hard on yourself for the race thing though. Hope you have a great start to the week!

5. Eating 4 Balance

You’ll totally rock it next time!

Oh yes. I know the Bob Evan’s dilemma. It’s the same one I feel at Denny’s, but Denny’s isn’t quite so nice. Lol. I remember for years after I was too old to be a “kid” still ordering off the children’s menu. Their food choices are just way better.

6. carlyjg

Ugh, I get motion sickness too. And the older I get, the worse it gets. Lovely.

Great job on branching out to that 1600! Keep striving for more, but don’t forget to appreciate what your body is already doing for you. It’s pretty amazing, trust me!

I enjoy Bob Evens…boo for that. Glad you could find something. Sorry to hear the meet didn’t go that great but good for you for being *hungry* for more and better races (which I know you’ll have!). It’s just the beginning of the season after all. The 1600 just seems like a pain train to me. I’ve never raced it…but that is my thought.

Haha I actually do like it most of the time but it gets old after multiple weeks in a row, especially when you aren’t really in the mood for anything. I don’t really like the 1600 either but it’s much better than the 800 which is kind of where my thoughts were going. I want to redeem myself after the one I did a few weeks ago.

I agree…I think I’d like much more then the 800…maybe. LOL, all that short stuff I can’t handle. We used to only stop at Subway for cross country races…now I can’t eat there ever again because I’ve had it so much.

I’ve never been to a Bob Evans, but I don’t think I’d get salad and mac and cheese at one… especially not if they have breakfast foods, bc I love breakfast. Hopefully you will get redemption at the next meet, I agree that running a distance you normally don’t race might be fun because it’s less pressure and it might help you run the distances you race normally better because you have less nerves.

And if you like the bagels, eat them :). Although I’ve always been an oatmeal girl pre-run myself.

Haha I wasn’t really craving anything but it was pretty much kraft easymac. Not high class stuff but I couldn’t come up with anything I really wanted. That’s exactly what I think the 1600 will do for me. Once I have one solid race under my belt, I’ll be able to do more which is what I want.

9. runningthewindycity

Way to take your frustration and turn it into a positive thing. Finding the fun in racing will make it much easier for you to hit the paces you know you can run. I’m excited to see how the 1600 goes for you!

When I played travel basketball, we’d go to Bob Evans all. the. time.

Seeing as talk of races is pretty much a foreign language to me, I’m afraid I can’t really offer any sort of sound advice :( But I think it’s great that you’re trying different things to find the fun in racing again – that’s the only way to come across something that we truly fall in love with, right? And speaking of love… that’s definitely what I feel towards mac & cheese :D

Doing what you love is the only good reason for doing something so I don’t even think it really matters if you speak race talk ;) but yes, mac and cheese is my one true love.

11. noshingonasphalt

Oh girl, I’m sorry your meet wasn’t what you wanted. It sucks that you get so sick on the ride there, I know that would throw me off for sure. I’m not even going to offer advice because, honestly, I’m sure you’ve heard everything under the sun. Just do what works for you.

I’m excited about you running 1600. I have no doubt that you can pull a sub 6 mile. You got this, Sarah!

Thank you!! I really hope I can! I think the nausea definitely threw me off but I’m not sure it was the factor for the whole race. It just messed with me mentally even more than I was already doing which is never a good thing.

I’m sorry the meet didn’t go well but I really admire you asking to run the 1600 and kill it. I love that you just want to succeed and are asking for that chance even if it’s gonna be tough. Yougogirl.

13. Robyn @thereallife_rd

I am the exact same way when it comes to running. For me, the mental game holds me back from reaching my potential- why must our minds play games on us??? I was reading your post and thinking, “yep, that’s what I’d do too.”

You’ll kill that 1600, good luck!!

Ahhh I haven’t been to Bob Evans in so long! I honestly can’t remember the last time I went there. There weren’t any particularly close to my house growing up, so it was a pretty rare place for us to visit.

I think it’s SO great that you asked to run the 1600 and that you’re pumped to do so. Hopefully you can channel that excitement into your run and have a fantastic race!

We don’t have them where I’m from at all so I hadn’t even heard of them until I joined the track team. Now we just go so often that I’ve lost the taste for it. Thanks :)

15. LifeByLex

Although half of this post was like reading French (am i still in Canada?) I understand. The same thing used to happen to me in swimming. I’m sorry you had a crappy race and that you didn’t get the times you wanted. Stay focused on the goals and you’ll get there. Maybe your body was just off that day. It happens. Don’t let that shake you

I’m sorry your race didn’t turn out like you wanted it to, darlin, but I LOVE that you want to tackle the 1600 for your next meet! Redemption indeed :) And I know you can do it! Just let yourself enjoy it and have fun…that’s what we both need to do…and I fully believe we can :)

17. alicia

Great job at your race – I know the time is frustrating, but the success is that you KNOW what’s blocking you (and figuring that out is sometimes the hardest part). If you can figure out a mind game you can play with yourself when you think you could start to unravel, that usually helps. If I notice splits where I don’t want them, I tend to want to give up, but now I try and throw the number away in my mind and think about something else – knowing that if I focus on the number, the run will be worse than if I had just continued on, even if it was at a slower pace.

You can do it, and I love that you asked to run the 1600! Talk about a fighter :)

And yes, I do know Bob Evan’s! They have a pretty decent egg white omelet that I’ve had a few times on business trips. It isn’t too shabby!

18. allieksmith

How come you’re not allowed to sleep on the way to a meet?! That’s cray cray! I would do it anyways ;).

I’m sorry that your race wasn’t what you wanted, but I’m glad you’re still trying and pushing yourself!

Bob Evans… I used to hate it, but now it’s one of my favorite restaurants. Junky food for the win! ;)

Haha it’s so you’re awake for your race, especially if you have one in the morning like I usually do. I’ve never completely hated Bob’s but there are a zillion other places I’d rather go :)

19. Nicole

I know you were disappointed with your times but I think you did a great job! You made it through your race when you weren’t feeling well and inside with poor air quality. I think it’s awesome you asked to sign up for another race at the next race!

20. Molly

I’m proud of you, girly! You went out a limb asking to do the 1600 :) That is SO awesome. I’m sorry you’re getting motion sickness though! I’m sure you’ve tried it all…Dramamine? Those bands you can wear around your wrists?

21. Kate

TRACK LUNG!! lol. We always got the shittiest food after meets too…we ordered pizza and I’m lactose intolerant and it wasn’t even good pizza…grr. Anyway. I’m glad you got through the race and after some time to cool down mentally, you got right back on the horse and asked for another shot. DEFINITELY something to be proud of, rather than moping about it! I really think once you get your head in the game you’ll be seeing WAY better race times – I mean you’re already seeing them in workouts, right? :-D FWIW though, the 3k is just the gayest event ever…I ran that my first indoor season and got soooo close to breaking 11 and I never did…and I stubbornly tried over and over, convinced that I was going to get it (in one season…no) and then towards the end of the season my coach was like “um, you’re definitely not a 3k runner. stop trying. I’m putting you in the 5k” LOL.

22. bananasforyogaandyogurt

I just posted on Alex’s wall a little while ago about Van’s waffles! Van’s are the bomb!

Sarah, you completely inspired me when you said: “I asked if I could run the 1600. Who in their right mind wants to do that race? Well, apparently I did. Because I’m hungry for redemption after my first attempt at it.”

You’re going to do great!! :)

23. Pingback: Fourteen things on the 15th | pickyrunner