The many layers of the “picky runner”

I usually show you some crazy dessert I’ve eaten recently or a decadent restaurant dish I’ve tried on WIAW. Today, I’m going to peel back the name of the pickyrunner and show you what it’s really like.

But first, I want to share something with you. Yesterday was not a great day. I was feeling pretty under the weather with a cough coming on, I am overtired, and I had a full day of classes and an internship before the most difficult practice I’ve ever had (and wasn’t able to finish.. that’s for another post). I got home and received some pretty disappointing news that really pushed me even further into my funk. I’m not going to pretend I wasn’t upset and I’m trying to make the best of the situation, but there’s nothing worse than feeling let down by people. While I was reading up on colorblind cuttlefish for my chemistry class, I received this email from my nutritionist and I just had to share it with all of you.

Screen Shot 2013-03-12 at 9.44.18 PMIt’s so nice to have someone who actually cares about me and my wellbeing. She is going above and beyond the call of duty. I’m not paying for her services right now seeing as all of our communication is via email- she genuinely wants to help me and that’s a pretty amazing feeling. I’m so lucky to have found someone like this. She has made such a big difference in the recovery process. Starting with tackling the picky eating dilemma.

When someone says to you that they’re a picky eater, what does that mean to you? Obviously, there are different degrees of pickyness. I’ve met people who eat nothing but cereal, nothing but white foods, nothing but American food. Those are pretty extreme if you ask me.

picky-eater1-1

I don’t consider myself as picky as other people do when they meet me. When anyone asks if I’m still picky, I say I’ve grown into myself a lot. But then there are times like this past weekend when I realize that I still have a long way to go.

When planning our dinner on Saturday night at my aunt and uncle’s house:

Uncle- “you’re not one of those vegetarians are you?”

Me- “absolutely not”

Uncle- “good, we’re going to have steak then”

Me- “YES. That’s my favorite!”

A few hours later…

Aunt- “You didn’t take out steak, you took out fish and pork”

Uncle- “it said omaha steak on the package”

Aunt- “well it’s not”

Me- “that’s fine, I’ll eat pork”

Aunt- “With applesauce or cranberry sauce?”

Me- “…neither?”

Aunt- “Okay. We can have it plain. what do you like with it? Scalloped potatoes?”

Me- “….”

Aunt- “couscous?”

Me- “…”

Aunt- “so no rice, no scalloped potatoes… what do you usually eat?”

Me- “Well I like a lot of different things as long as they’re plain. baked potatoes, lots of pasta”

Aunt- “okay we’ll have pasta. Do you like the brown kind? Whole wheat?”

me- “Yes. perfect. I love it.”

Aunt- “What about salad? Do you like ceasar salad?”

Me- “well, I don’t like dressing but I do eat ceasar salad. lettuce is good”

Aunt- “ok no ceasar salad. You can’t just have lettuce. What about mixed vegetables, will you eat those?”

Me- “sure, that’s fine. I like most of the things in that”

Aunt (with skepticism about my vague answer, but I was feeling bad)- “okay. That’s what we’ll have.”

This is pretty typical of an interaction for me when it comes to planning meals. See, I LOVE a lot of vegetables, I love fruits, I eat different types of meat, potatoes and bread and pasta, cheese and milk, a wide variety if you ask me. But to the outside person, I’m picky because I don’t like anything on stuff and it can’t be mixed together. They wanted to put applesauce or cranberry sauce on the pork, I asked for mine plain. They wanted tomatoes in the salad, I picked around them. Dessert is the one thing I’m not as picky about (go figure…) which is why I tend to eat more of it when I’m in other places that I’m not comfortable with. I fill myself up on that so I can pick around the other meals that I’m not as crazy about and still get enough calories into me for the day, even if it isn’t the healthiest at times.

That’s actually one of my biggest pet peeves. When I go somewhere and people say “wow, you sure eat a lot of desserts. How do you eat so much crap and still stay thin?” Well, the answer is pretty simple. I don’t eat that stuff on a regular basis. Sure, there are days when I go absolutely nuts with my consumption of cake, ice cream, and candy. But it’s not an everyday occurrence.

images

So at surface value, I seem pretty difficult. But I’ve also never been in a situation where I can’t make what’s in front of me work. If they had made the pork with sauce on it, I could have scraped it off. With the vegetables, I picked around the cooked carrots. I hate feeling like I’m being high-maintenance when I’m with people I’m not as familiar with. My parents accept it, my friends joke about it, but if I don’t know someone, I fear that I’m acting stuck up or ridiculous.

tumblr_lxinvgSOvf1r7cd7go1_500

Pickiness isn’t something I’ve chosen to be all of my life. Maybe I have, subconsciously, and never outgrew it like most kids do. I don’t know where it began or why I wasn’t able to break out of it. Slowly but surely, especially in recent months, I’ve been able to try tiny bites of things and eventually call them a new favorite. Corn nuts? Love them now. Sesame sticks? Same deal. Tortellini- you couldn’t have paid me to eat it two years ago. Now it’s a staple. I try things on my terms. I’m finally at a stage in my life where I’m not AS afraid to try something and hate it. I used to immediately say “oh, I don’t like that” with no explanation as to why not. Too bad it took 21 years to get there. Contrary to popular belief, I really don’t enjoy being a picky eater. I try to change it, but there are these irrational fears in my head that I really have a hard time getting rid of.

Full disclosure: I'm still pretty freaking picky. My parents have just given up

Full disclosure: I’m still pretty freaking picky. My parents have just given up

Were you picky when you grew up?

How do you handle situations where you don’t like something?

94 thoughts on “The many layers of the “picky runner”

1. carlyjg

Being picky can be so hard! I used to have a lot of fear surrounding eating out/at someone’s house, but it had more to do with calorie counting than not liking the food. It’s definitely hard to explain to others your situation without offending them or feeling like a burden.

I think it’s AWESOME that you’re trying new things. Especially tortellini. Tortellini is amazing.

2. Heather @fitncookies

Oh my gosh, this is me! I’ve been ‘picky’ in other people’s terms forever. Sure i used to know I was picky, but it’s the same as you. If I don’t like something on it, I’ll pick around. I don’t make myself be high-maintenance for it; thats the last thing I want! I have grown into eating a lot of new foods that I never ate before. It’s hard sometimes around new people, or my family members who just say I’m picky, but really, I just know what I like! I really just go with the flow in these situations, and eat what I lie. I won’t lie, any ties I say I’m not hungry so I don’t hurt the chefs family,hen really it’s just not my fav!

I’m not always great at picking around things but I can do it. And I usually politely make excuses as to why I’m not hungry or something. It just makes me feel so bad and rude and I’m not trying to be at all!

3. runwithholly

Nowadays, I’m pretty free and easy, and will eat (or make some adjustments so I can eat) most things.

But there was a time in my life when I had pretty rigid eating habits, and dealing with what you describe was sort-of what I did. I guess I did a few things to accommodate new/guest situations, depending on the situation:
    1. I didn’t mention certain aversions that were easy to personally accommodate. For example, I didn’t eat many kinds of meat. But I’d adapt: I’d pick out the bacon bits, or load up on carbs and veggies, etc.
    2. Provide alternative suggestions. Most people WANT me to like the meal they’re going to prepare. So if I didn’t want mayo in my potato salad, I’d just suggest scooping out my portion of salad before adding the mayo. Or tossing two potatoes in the microwave/oven to bake, instead of boiling for salad. This way, I got what I wanted, they got what they wanted, and no one was really inconvenienced.
    3. Relax a bit (this applied to me, not to you) – because most of my choices were self-imposed, not “I don’t like”. So I chose to eat some things that I otherwise wouldn’t have eaten at home, just to make life a bit easier.
    4. Sometimes, I traveled with my own food (or at least some bread, or PB, or something) – if things were really bad, I could just whip out PB&J ingredients and say: “I’m a really particular eater, especially when I’m training. I need good fuel, that I like to eat. This is the easiest way for me to do that. Don’t be offended – it’s me, not you. Enjoy your dinner, and I’ll enjoy mine.”

Not sure any of those are of any help to you…but that’s what I did. [And apologies for the lengthy comment.]

Those are really helpful! I actually already use a lot of the tips like providing suggestions (if I’m comfortable with the people I’m with) and I’ve learned to pack my own food. It’s usually not for an extended period of time so it’s not going to kill me but it is tough at times. I like that last tip though with the way you phrased it!

4. Greta

OMG! That situation is so me! Ok, I’m picky about completely different foods, but still – very picky.
    But I always blame it on my Celiac disease. Even though we are talking about vegetables here… yeah, bad me!! :D

Celiac would give me an excuse at least for some things! I mean, I just pretend I’m allergic depending on who I’m with. That usually works at restaurants at least :)

5. molly @ heart, sole & cereal.

being picky is tough especially when you’re at someone’s house. it’s hard because i always feel badly if i don’t like/want something someone has spent time cooking, which i know you totally get. at the same time though if i don’t like something i feel like i’m wasting it by not eating it so i feel bad if i take something that i know i won’t eat. does that make sense? oh and there’s nothing wrong with lots of dessert. it’s my favorite food group too :)

It makes perfect sense. I usually don’t take it at all. I’ll load up on veggies and things and hope that I can find myself a big ice cream cone later on ;)

I think picky is being relative. Get anyone out of their normal food eating comfort zone and they are going to ask for some specializations. For instance, I took my dad to a Greek restaurant when he visited and their plenty of WTF and a dash of WTH’s take out this weird “whoomass” (that is how he said hummus…to his defense I don’t like that stuff either. Anyways but everyone has food they like, dislike over others if that even makes sense.

It’s true. I have friends who won’t eat things because of self-imposed food restrictions which is really no different from me. At restaurants I’m the worst about making substitutions but I don’t usually mind because I’m paying for the meal and it’s their job to accompany my needs. It’s a lot harder at peoples’ houses.

I think the Reality of Fear banner sums it all up. That’s why most fears are irrational and why we need to zero in and combat the true reasons behind them. I know that you’re working hard at being open and trying many new things (not only foods), and you should be commended for that. Never stop pushing.

8. Eating 4 Balance

I honestly don’t think that you sound all that picky… But there isn’t really any food that I don’t like or won’t eat (except for cold cheese. Oh gosh- ICK)… I like most foods, however, I’m the same was as you with preferring stuff plain. I could eat a big bowl of white rice and be satisfied, or a few legs of chicken and be happy. I seriously don’t like having to make complex meals and prefer having all of my food separate (soup kind of bothers me with that rule…). Take for instance chocolate and mints. Apart? Good. Together? Eh, not so much. Lol.

Maybe I’ll do a post next week about the things I don’t like… you may change your mind :) but I like to keep everything very simple. I’m the same with chocolate and mints! It sounds gross to me!

9. Sam @ Better With Sprinkles

I was a hugely picky eater growing up. I didn’t like veggies, most fruits, beef, milk…I felt sorry for my parents, because I made almost every meal into a battle. It seems like you don’t do that though – you make meals work for you and you’re slowly but surely pushing your boundaries. Seems like the best way to deal with the situation!

My meals were always a battle too. They’ve come to accept it and just make what I like now so it’s not as big of an issue. I’m old enough that I eat what I like and am able to get a balanced meal in so they don’t bother fighting with me.

10. reluctantlyskinny

I’ve always been a really picky eater. I didn’t actually eat a salad until I was about 19 years old, and it was such a big deal that my mom video taped it. My fiancee still jokes that I don’t really have an adult palate, and there’s still some basic stuff that I just hate – like bananas and onions. But I’ve “grown up” for the most part and will try new things to formulate a real opinion, rather than assuming I don’t like something.

Haha I still don’t really like salad. I hate dressing and I don’t like most things in it. I have a kid palate too but it’s fine. I don’t like bananas or onions but my list could go on for miles. I’m hoping eventually I’ll be more open to trying things.

11. Taryn

I was super picky about my food until junior year of college. I was still pretty picky then though. I like what you said about growing into yourself because that’s definitely what I did too. There are still a lot of foods I refuse to eat (seafood, especially), I don’t put anything on sandwiches, and I’m not a fan of “weird” sauces. I’m always told how picky I am, but I just don’t look at it that way. I’ve tried a variety of foods and I know which ones I like now.

I hate seafood! That’s a good point too. I know what I do and don’t like. I’ve tried a lot of the more normal foods (I haven’t branched out to the weird stuff) and even if I don’t like a lot of it, I still have tried different things that just didn’t work for me.

12. olivetorun

I feel so bad for my parents now that I’m grown up… I was SUPER picky. Like plain chicken and white rice was all I’d have for dinner. It was a little out of control :)

I’m still that obnoxious college kid coming home refusing to eat anything. They usually just make a separate meal for me once they get tired of eating the same thing every night. Oops….

I’m the total opposite, I’ll try almost any weird food combination just to at least find out if I like it. But there are definitely plenty of foods I don’t like! Peas, sorry mom but I will never “grow a taste” for that vegetable. Green beans, asparagus, brussels sprouts, all fine. But no peas. We all have our quirks! I don’t know whether I was much of a picky eater growing up, but I know that I loveddd my sweets and that def hasn’t changed!

14. Megan

This is funny, dinner at my parents is the same way, my dad will say “so what are you eating now adays” it’s like um everything that I like…. haha

15. Samantha

I’ve never been too picky, but certain textures freak me out. Hence, oatmeal, overripe bananas, and anything too mushy when it shouldn’t be totally throws me for a loop. Also, I developed lactose intolerance in college which has been awful! I always feel high maintenance in restaurants when I ask if anything is made with milk/cream etc.

Yep I don’t like the mushiness too. I think that’s where the pickiness started. I don’t know if I could handle being lactose intolerant- i love my chocolate milk and ice cream and mac and cheese way too much!

16. sugarcoatedsheridan

I’ve never been a super picky eater either, but I do remember when I was little, if my Mama didn’t make it, I didn’t want it! And there are still things now that I’ll eat, but of course, I would much prefer the way she makes it over anyone else.

I’m so glad that you do have a nutritionist that truly cares about you and your well-being! If everyone took time out of their day to do things like that, this world would be a much better place.

And I support you 100% on desserts!! Keep em coming!

Nothing beats mom’s home cooking :) but she really is pretty amazing. I love sending her my weekly updates- it makes me want to feel proud of how I’m eating so that she can be happy too.

I think picky eating is just part of who you are. You can’t grow out of it overnight and you don’t have to grow out of it! It’s your life, do what you want and eat what you want.I think it’s great that you’re trying new things though.
    Ugh, that nutritionist sounds awesome. Talk about someone that loves their job! Have a fabulous Wednesday, girlie!

Thanks girl! She’s pretty amazing. And it does take time to grow out of it. Believe it or not, this year alone I’ve made some pretty impressive strides. If I’m trying things on my own terms, I’m bound to be more successful.

18. Connie

I never really thought I was picky with food until recently. I also don’t eat beef or pork, so I know that can be an inconvenience to others when I’m eating with them. Whenever my friends or family grill steaks, I just bring a piece of chicken or they are kind enough to buy some for me! At Fogo de Chao, the only meat I could eat was their chicken legs (which were the best things I have ever tasted), but the chefs were so kind and made me a plain chicken breast since they usually wrap theirs in bacon. I hope you have time to go their with your friend!!!

I really want to try fogo de chao. But I usually bring my own food too depending on where I’m going. It’s just easier for my parents to grill up a piece of chicken for me than going through the battle of finding something I can eat.

19. macncheesenpeas

I can totally relate to being picky and dealing with family dinners/eating out with friends/ any other group dining situation. While you may be picky, you certainly don’t seem to be inconveniencing anyone by it, which is good! I think as long as you are eating balanced healthy meals, there is really nothing wrong with being picky! You know what you like, and that’s definitely a good thing:)

I definitely am an inconvenience when I’m at home and my parents have to make two dinners but when I’m eating at people’s houses I’m not as comfortable with, I definitely do my best to try to deal with what they are having.

I still remember having a complete come-apart and gagging on squash one sunday dinner. Now I make it all the time. It comes with age or hey, no one needs to be a fan of everything! If someone asks if I don’t like something, I usually say it’s alright but I don’t prefer it. If it’s served, I just try it or pick around and eat what I do like. The benefits of “playing” with your food.

Ew squash. I gagged once when I was having it as a kid and I haven’t eaten it since. Same with scallops haha. I try to play it off too; usually they can read my expression though. I’m an open book.

I’ve gotten a lot better now that I’m older, but I was an absolute nightmare to cook for when I was younger. I hated vegetables, herbs, spices, crazy combinations, weird textures… Blah. The only things I was okay with were desserts, cereals, plain grains, and dairy. Thankfully it’s a thing of the past, but I can still be a little difficult to eat with just because of my allergies.

22. aine @ ainesadventuresabroad

My mom must have been a saint. I guess our pediatrician told her as long as we were eating and taking vitamins it would all work out. I think I ate a lot of plain meat and mashed potatoes. WAH! Nevermind my panic (i dont even know if that covers it), of food being stuck in braces and a yogurt phase for most of high school.

23. Runner Girl Eats

I’m not picky at all. I def have my preferences but can make anything work in situations at people’s homes or restaurants. I have a lot of picky friends that only eat at certain restaurants or only eat chicken and it drives me nuts!

24. Leigha

I used to be a little picky but everything really changed after I had my son. At that point I saw that I had to set an example and began to try new things and actually learned to like them! I am sorry about your disappointing news, it seems like the people we would take a bullet for, are sometimes, the ones that pull the trigger and let us down. Btw, I still hate cooked carrots but have learned to love them raw. :)

25. runningthewindycity

I was a picky kid because I’d get into a food rut and only eat 1-2 things every day for a long time. These were never healthy foods and it drove my parents crazy (not because of the unhealthy factor but because I was ridiculous). I eventually grew out of it but my parents won’t let me forget it! Now I’m picky-ish because of food allergies but I usually try to make situations work. Like you, I feel guilty when people can’t cook for me or want to go to a restaurant that is difficult for me.

Haha I’m such a food rut type of person. Luckily, my rut is by the meal. I eat the same thing for lunch or the same thing for dinner but I don’t usually eat the same thing all day long (although if it were dessert… maybe that would be another story).

26. Laura

First I am going to say when I read the title of this post, all I could think of was the movie Shrek “Like an onion, I have layers” … “What about parfaits, they have layers”….Sorry back to your post.

I was a picky kid but only about certain things. No nuts, no spinach, no mushrooms and no peppers.I now eat all of those except Mushrooms(still can’t get into them). There were other things but these were the big ones.

There’s a difference between being picky and conscious about what you eat, and I think I am more of a conscious eater than a picky one.

I don’t think you should feel bad about eating habits, yes it may be awkward when you are trying to plan something with someone who doesn’t know you well, but at the same time they should respect your differences. Sometimes you have to compromise and that’s okay, that’s life.

Hahhaa Shrek! I love that movie! I think the fact that I’ve shown progress over the years has given my parents a little bit of hope and they’re beginning to understand but it’s people I’m not closer with that I feel awkward around. Like dinner at my friend’s house- her parents eat the weirdest things so I usually pretend I’m not hungry and then scarf down a burger (or ice cream) later. When I’m at home, I’m much better about still getting a balanced diet even if I am picky about what it is I’m eating.

27. Amanda @ Run Principessa

I was the pickiest child in the whole world. I ate chicken fingers. Aaaaaand chicken fingers. And whatever my mom ate because I couldn’t get up from the table until I whined enough. Aaaand some more chicken fingers. My palate can handle more now. ;)

Haha chicken fingers. Yum. I actually hated chicken so I’ve definitely improved a bit. But pizza- I ate it every single day. I could still eat it every day though… some things may never change ;)

I was somewhat picky as a child, but being the unloved oldest child that I am (kidding, kidding: my parents love me), pickiness wasn’t much of an option for me usually. If Mom and Dad made it for dinner, I had to eat it whether I wanted to or not. There were definitely occasions where I was stuck at the table for a looooong time because I had such trouble choking down what my parents put in front of me (fish was a primary offender here for a variety of reasons, fear of bones in the fish, the lemon juice my parents always put on the fish. This SICKNASTY cauliflower/broccoli/mayonnaise/cheese dish was also an issue). As I grew up I learned to just eat what I didn’t like first and try to choke it down without tasting it as much as possible. My brother, however, is a rotten pampered youngest child and my parents totally catered to his pickiness. Actually, they STILL cater to his pickiness, which I think is dumb, since 1) he’s 16-almost-17 now, not 6 and 2) he’s never going to know if he’s grown into liking certain foods if he never tries them. But whatever. This is just one instance of the 2093842 ways my parents have gone soft on raising my brother, but that’s a different rant for a different day ;)

The more I think about picky eating, the more I realize how limiting it is. Growing up, for example, I HATED beets. Just absolutely hated them. (This was one thing that my parents eventually would cater to me with…in high school I’d often get a different vegetable if the family was having beets since I hated them so much). I’m still not obsessed with beets–like I’m not going to buy them for myself or anything–but I’ll eat them if they’re in dishes I’m served now (at book club, for example, we often have a salad that includes beets, and I’ll happily eat that). This is a really recent change for me–we’re talking with in the past couple of months here–but I think it was good for me to realize that just because I used to not like something doesn’t mean I’ll always not like it. There are all sorts of food experiences I could be missing out on just because of a past bad experience with a type of food. I guess it goes to show the truth in you’ll never know if you like something unless you try it…and then try it again!

Haha I feel the SAME way about my 16 going on 17 year old brother at home! I mean, he’s not really very picky but my parents have definitely gone soft in their old age ;) I grew up being forced to try everything. I choked down fish more times than I can count, drowned everything I ate in ketchup, and even literally plugged my nose whenever it was something I didn’t like. Now my parents pretty much eat the things I like the few times a year I’m at home or they’ll make me a separate meal. I am well aware that I’m a spoiled brat but they, they miss me :) I’ve definitely gone back and tried a few things again but most of it is still a no-go for me. I’m trying but it’s taking a lot longer than I (or my parents) had hoped for me to grow out of that stage.

I can see the changes in you girl and your willingness to try things in the few months that I’ve known you and i couln’t be more proud! I was even worse than you growing up foodwise but i’ve gotten a lot better.
    These days I’ll try most things and enjoy foods i never would have gone near not too long ago…crazy how that happens ;)

Being a vegetarian is slightly easier though because people except it I feel like. Although I’ve never been one so I could be completely off base! Bringing your own sandwich is smart though!

30. spectacuLAUR

I was never a picky eater growing up and the only reason I’m a picky eater now is because I had an extreme case of orthorexia. Without health concerns/trying to eat “healthy”, I will eat anything but clams. I totally understand where you’re coming from, though, and it’s difficult to be put into situations where you KNOW you are going to feel uncomfortable. Honestly, I used to be extremely uncomfortable in my own house because my parents – of course – judge what I eat; however, I found out when I “owned” it, things were A LOT easier and better for me. I go into things KNOWING people are going to judge what I eat so nothing comes as a surprise and I’m ready to just say, “Yeah, I’m just picky”. If you wanna try it, GREAT; if you don’t want to try it, that’s great too!

Oh man I was a picky eater before I went all orthorexic (a mild case). That would be really difficult. That’s a good point though. Now I kind of make light of my picky eating habits and it works out fine.

31. thedancingrunner

I am not that picky when it comes to food but my BF is SO picky! It can kind of be a pain but we make compromises for certain things and I am finally getting him to enjoy foods other than all American meat and potatoes.

32. Nicole @ FruitNFitness

This made me laugh. One of my moms good friends is the pickiest eater I know, and I always feel bad for her when we go out to eat and all she will eat is the bread on the table. I am one of the least picky eaters so I never have a problem finding something.

33. livliveslife

It’s really interesting that you say you worry people will think you’re stuck up. (First of all, I see absolutely nothing wrong with being picky – you know what you like and won’t put up with anything, gosh darn it!) Especially when I was younger, whenever I had to turn down food due to my allergies, I always got the feeling that people thought I was being stuck up. Even when I explained why I was turning down the food, I think people became offended. It really is interesting how others can’t accept even minor differences!

I would never be offended by someone with allergies! I actually use that as an excuse sometimes since it’s easier than explaining that I don’t like something. I guess some people are able to eat things they don’t love and people like us just can’t.

34. Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen

Did you know that as we get older, our taste buds die? That’s why kids are so picky and grandparents usually eat everything. So, you can just tell anyone that gives you a hard time that you’ve got more taste buds! Haha I actually was super picky as a kid but now I’ll try anything at least once.

35. Angela @ The Chicken Scoop

So funny, this sounds exactly like my husband. He hates sauce on his foods, he likes things plain, even his salad! I’ve learned to cook around him and it can be frustrating sometimes but he has gotten better, trying new things. Like you, it just has to be on his terms!
    ~Ang

36. Leigha

I just love your posts! This is totally me. I used to live off plain pasta every night, literally. Now I’m really branching out I recently started eating meat too. It’s weird but it’s also really cool to be trying new foods!

37. kloesampson

Aw that’s so lovely about your nutritionist!
    I’ve worked with professionals before, that have sent me gorgeous emails asking me how I am, chatting things out, or even had really lengthy calls with me.. in a Sunday!

I was always a picky eater as a kid, but now that I’ve had the chance to try all these different cuisines and really like them, I’m a bit more willing to expore the unknown :)

38. Ellie

I was never a picky eater, I’ll eat mostly anything. When I am unconfortable, I pick easy foods and don’t try anything new. I’m not sure skipping sauces etc to have more dessert is the greatest plan…but I am not one to judge. I think you were in a different situation and when those time occur, we do what feels the safest. I think that’s legit :)

I mean, I wouldn’t say I do that regularly, but it is just easier to get enough food into my diet if I do eat something that I can find and tolerate. Most of the time I prefer my fruits and veggies, I promise :)

39. Life After Swimming

You should never have to try anything on anyone’s terms but your own! That’s awesome that your aunt and uncle were so helpful in meeting your likes! I am pretty picky when it comes to veggies and fruits, which stinks because they’re so good for you!

40. katiemoves

i am picky…lol, for me it’s a texture thing…(bananas ICK!!) and a lot of veggies- if theyre weird its probably a guarantee I won’t eat them… my parents have also come to terms with it although it was a fight up until like age 10 where they gave up

41. Health, Love, and Chocolate

I can totally understand how difficult it must be to have to explain yourself to others when eating with them. You like what you like! You are obviously are great at making things work for you, and I tend to do the same thing when presented with something I am not fond of.

I feel like it’s a pretty natural reaction to try to pick around things you don’t like. It’s more awkward to flat out tell someone no, you won’t eat it, than it is to just eat a little less and make up for it at another time. I come prepared now with lots of snacks :)

42. allieksmith

Everyone has likes and dislikes, so that’s pretty normal in my opinion. I think it’s good that you can tell others what you really want instead of just accepting food that you don’t like, you know? I grew up with a picky palate… I only liked plain pasta with butter, cheese pizza, etc. I’ve expanded my horizons, but it’s taken years, you know?!

Your palate sounds a lot like what I eat now haha but I think I’ve improved a lot and I’m mature about it now so it doesn’t come across as me being as much of a spoiled kid anymore. Or at least that’s what I hope…