Happy Thursday which is really like Friday for most of us! Since I don’t really have time for any introductions today and everyone in blogland knows what Thursdays are all about, let’s jump into thinking out loud.
1) This week man. I’m surprised I’m making it out alive. Well, assuming I make it through today. End of quarter is always ROUGH in advertising. We’re dealing with the beginning of a new month (ads that run all month), the beginning of a new quarter (ads that run all quarter), plus any changes to existing campaigns that run random weeks throughout the year, AND throw July 4th in there to create one giant sh!tstorm of ads that need to be trafficked. I’ve been working extra hours all week and if I’m out of here before 8pm tonight it will be a miracle despite it being a half day for the rest of the company.
2) Next week my boss is in Boston for a leadership conference without access to phone/email. Because of all the changes recently, guess who’s the next in line and becomes the point of contact while she’s out? Yep. So not only will I be doing my usual work of trafficking campaigns, I’ll also be the one that has to escalate any issues people on my team are having, putting down hard deadlines, and answering questions from the newer folks. Two crazy weeks in a row. Vacation cannot come soon enough.
3) Said vacation is in EIGHT DAYS FROM TODAY. I cannot believe it’s finally here. This has been in the works for several months now and when Tim and I first threw out the idea of him coming up north with me, I didn’t think it would actually happen. But it’s happening (well, for the first 4 days at least). Plans are falling into place and I’ve been dreaming of a glorious 10 days up in New England to get me through the past few months.
4) You guys blew me away with the support on the instagram I posted the other day. I’m not usually an advocate of #transformationtuesday posts, but I felt this strong desire to share for once. I’ve never shared photos of what I looked like at my worst because I don’t want it to be a comparison for anyone. I’m just really proud of how far I’ve come in the past 5 years and while I’ve considered myself to be recovered for over a year now, I’ve loosened up a lot since I graduated. I think it’s important to share those “reverse transformation” pictures in a culture filled with thin privilege. I may weigh significantly more than I did back then, but I’m healthy. Now I’m filled with love and ice cream and my mom doesn’t worry about whether or not I’m capable of feeding myself. That’s a pretty great feeling.
5) Since I never did a formal “weekend recap” this week, I’ll share now. Tim was dogsitting this weekend but had a late meeting Friday so I got there first to let the dogs out. Well, when I went to let them back in, this is what I found. I waited a few minutes because I couldn’t stop laughing. This flying squirrel move went on for several minutes.
6) We also went on a bike ride Sunday morning. I’ve been waking up exhausted lately regardless of how much sleep I get so I was struggling before, during, and after the bike ride. I was also pretty hangry (lesson learned- eat something before we go even if we’re eating breakfast after) so I wasn’t the most pleasant person to be around. 32 miles later=all the hot chocolate.
8) Saturday was extremely rainy so we pretty much stayed inside the entire time. The only time we ventured out was for breakfast at the mecca of all Whole Foods. The Columbia, MD location is relatively new and they have a bunch of stations for different cuisines in addition to the usual hot bar. I had a bagel but also picked up this whole grain chocolate chip muffin for an afternoon snack. Because you know, napping all afternoon is hard work. The views were pretty great too but we couldn’t go for a walk around the lake because of the torrential downpours. Next time.
9) We’re back with the dogs again this weekend. They’re pretty cute. I’m not even one of those people that is OMG SO OBSESSED WITH DOGS but it’s hard not to laugh when this guy is sticking his nose in your face.
10) Tonight I’m driving down to DC after work (assuming I get out at a reasonable hour) because I have tomorrow off and no plans. So I figure I’ll bounce around the district a bit, maybe do some shopping, and probably go for a long run somewhere. If anyone lives in/near DC and wants to hang out with me let me know! I have a lot of hours to kill :)
11) My friend Dave is having a giveaway for a Nike Fuelband on his blog! Go check it out!
What are your plans for July 4th?
How do you feel about transformation pictures?