Hello from Baltimore! It’s hard to believe I’m back in town. I feel like I never left, in some ways. Anyways, it’s time to do some Thinking Out Loud again. I’ve written enough sappy posts to last 10 years. I swear it’s almost out of my system. I’m definitely dealing with bouts of homesickness but I’m staying busy enough that they haven’t been too bad. It’s only hard when I’m communicating with my favorite dock boy via snapchat or texting my mom. Luckily, there’s plenty of familiar faces here to distract me… and sperry stores coming soon.
1) I made it. I’m officially in Baltimore. I was able to stop for lunch with Hollie on my way which helped break up the trip. We seem to only see each other when one of us is traveling through the other’s town, but that’s kind of the way blog friendships go. It’s nice that no matter where I am, there’s a blogger to visit. We ate at Vincentown Diner- the same one we went to last time. I swear they have the best pita bread I’ve ever had on top of the grilled chicken salad.
2) November Project is my favorite. thing. ever. They have a 5:30 group now that I’ll be joining soon. AND we start Friday workouts soon which will be conveniently right near my new place. I missed these people more than words can describe. I had the best time with old friends and it was awesome seeing so many new faces. Amanda over at Miss Zippy even tried it out! I felt like I was on cloud 9 all morning. Yesterday was Race Day which is a 1500 or a 3000 around a track. I chose the 3000 and finished in 11:44. I’m not sure how accurate the distance is because my PR in college was 11:57 and I’m definitely not in racing shape, but it was still a 30 second improvement over last time. And I had fun, which is what matters.
3) My stomach can’t handle as much fresh produce as I’d like. I really love raw veggies (carrots especially) but sometimes when I eat too many of them it causes my stomach to cramp up so badly. It’s not a problem at night usually but during the day it can be incredibly painful. The only way to make it go away is to eat more carbs… I have no problem with that.
4) I started my job Wednesday morning. The verdict? It’s going to be extremely stressful but I love it. I’m spending this week shadowing various people in the same position as me so I can have a broad overview of what I’ll be doing. My coworkers are awesome, the company is so cool, and I can tell it’s going to be a great place for me to start my career. Plus, my boss keeps the traffic team stocked with cheez its, candy, pretzels, and so many other snacks. It’s meant to be.
5) I’m trying to run a 15k race tomorrow night with November Project for Back on my Feet. I haven’t raced since the Runner’s World Half in June so I’m long overdue. I’m going to do my best to make it after work but if not, I have Charles Street 12 next weekend! I better get out on those hills…
6) My first day back in town was perfect. I was kind of teary-eyed the entire way down but the second I stepped foot into the running store I work(ed) at, I felt right at home. I literally bounced out of there so happy. It felt so good to be back on familiar turf- it kind of felt like a continuation of the spring semester. I’m living in my old apartment for the week, had dinner at Stoney River with a friend from school, and followed that up with Coldstone. If there’s ever a time for comfort… it’s moving day.
7) I got my TATTOO on Monday! My best friend in Rhode Island came with me for the photographic evidence. It didn’t hurt nearly as bad as I thought it would, only when they got near my Achilles. I kind of love it. It’s very simple and clean… and just very me.
8) I surprisingly didn’t cry nearly as much as I thought I would leaving the boat. It was easier saying goodbye in stages- first my parents, then the dock manager,then my favorite dock boy, and finally, Fred. I didn’t cry at all while I was talking to any of them (besides my family). I had a really long heart to heart with Fred after the dock boy and I said our goodbyes on my last night which was the perfect ending to 5 years of boatlife. I miss it so much already, but I’m also really happy here.
9) Last night I went to the Orioles game! My company does a lot of corporate outings and had club tickets to the game so they let me leave early to go home and change (I’ll usually get out at 7) before I headed back downtown to Camden Yards! I’ve been a few times before but this time I was living large- we had club seats which meant all you can eat and drink…right up my alley I’m not usually a big baseball fan but I enjoy going to games and I was able to talk to a few people from the company which was nice. Everyone is so friendly and relatable. I’m pretty sure I was the only one not wearing orange though. Forever a Red Sox fan.
10) Did I mention how excited I am about my new apartment? The location is perfect. I’m obsessed. I’m picking up my keys Friday or Saturday and meeting one of my roommates Sunday. I absolutely love her already. I can’t wait to run around my new neighborhood- it’s literally right on the water in Canton. As in, they told me I could have my parents dock the boat right outside the front door… tempting…
What’s been going on in your lives?
Did you have a memorable first day at your first job?
Favorite baseball team?
I come from a family of diehard Sox fans so you won’t see me rocking any O’s jerseys anytime soon